Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Help with exit hole for gas/electric line on C22 transom

Author Help with exit hole for gas/electric line on C22 transom
Manny Myles
Crete, Illinois

Boat Name: Khatmandu

Model/Year: C22 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/25/2006 5:44 AM Pacific Time

Hi all, maybe some one can help here, I have a need to get a stainless steel cover plate for mounting to the transom for the gas line and electric line to go through.
The C22 I learned to sail on has this nice exit plate but can't seem to find one like it.
Currently we have to prop the locker lid up and have these 2 lines run above the seat area to get to the motor and is not quite practicle and not very safe either.
Any ideas or solutions to this would be helpful
Manny
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
01/25/2006 9:31 AM Pacific Time

Perhaps not as permanent or refined a solution as your looking for, but could you run the gas line up through the rear vent?

Peter
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/26/2006 7:46 AM Pacific Time

I haven't seen any SS plates in transoms for exiting the gas and electric lines, sounds great. But I just drilled a hole a bit larger than the gas line and slanted downward to the outside, swabed epoxy in it, then redrilled it to a nice fit for the gas line. Just a cheaper suggestion,
Al Ge
Ron Norton
Katy, TX

Boat Name: Vela

Model/Year: C22 / 1984

Hull No. 12037

Hailing Port: Katy, TX
01/26/2006 8:21 AM Pacific Time

I used one on the shell type air vent mounted pointed down. Run the fuel line through the air hole. Works great.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
01/26/2006 9:14 AM Pacific Time

My C-22 had the cowl vents much like what Ron describes w/one facing fore and one aft. Used them for the gas line. I've also taken to using a short section of dryer vent hose running from the gas can vent fitting to those cowls to directly vent gas fumes as they exit through the expansion relief valve.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/27/2006 6:35 AM Pacific Time

Those cowl vents are for taking air out of the bottom of the boat. The aft facing one should have 4" hose to the bottom most point in that aft space. The air is 'pressureized' through the forward facing one to force the 'heavier than air' gas fumes out of the boat. There is also some 'suction' on the aft facing cowl. At least that is the theory used by insurance companies to require ventilation of gas fumes. It works too, but only when your moving. Sorry to digress.
Al Ge
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
01/27/2006 5:31 PM Pacific Time

Manny,

My 1970 had a two inch hole cut into the front of the port side locker near the transom and the gas line was passed through this hole and over the transom under the mainsheet traveller bar. I don't use an inboard tank right now and plugged the hole with a plastic snap-in cover. If you run the line through a similar hole, you can get a neoprene boot to seal the port from weather, insects and water.

Greg G
Hobie Davidson
Titusville, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Titusville
01/28/2006 7:09 AM Pacific Time

My c22 has a hole drilled into the transom, the gas line and or electric are fed through the hole. There is a black outboard motor bladder covering this hole which all lines are also fed through. This keeps all seating neat, closed and does not bring any lines into the cockpit. It works very well and looks good.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
01/29/2006 7:49 AM Pacific Time

Al makes two great points and one that I had missed. If the gas fumes are 'heavy' then the hose should 'syphon' them off but only under way. If we combine all of this advice we've got at least four holes: two cowl vents (one facing fore and one aft), some sort of pass-through for gas/electric lines to the outboard, and perhaps a fourth hole to provide a direct vent from the relief valve on the gas can to the open air. Does anyone have pics as this is beginning to look pretty complex.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Help with exit hole for gas/electric line on C22 transom