Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bugee Cords

Author Bugee Cords
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/03/2006 9:16 PM Pacific Time

A few years ago at some regatta here in Texas they gave out some bugee cords with the registration. I find them especially good but I cannot find where to buy more. They have only one hook or wedge that you slide the bugee into to hold it at any length or tension you need. The 'hook' is a simple flat 1/8" black plastic with a 7/8" hole for your finger and a 3/8" hole for the bungee and a tang to form the wedge. The name on the side is CINCH-IT!, I've tried Google and all the forms of 'Cinch it' that I can think of without luck. Does anyone happen to know where I can buy some?
Thanks, Al Ge
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

03/03/2006 9:17 PM Pacific Time

Oops, that should be bungee, sorry.
Al Ge
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
03/04/2006 6:12 AM Pacific Time

Al,

I bought a kit that had some like that in it, at Sams or Lowes. I have not seen an individual pack like that & you are right there are no sharp sail cutting edges & might work as well as double sided Velcro for sail ties etc.

Bob
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

03/05/2006 8:43 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Bob, for the hint, I'll try them, didn't really think of none marine places.
Al Ge
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
03/06/2006 4:56 AM Pacific Time

A quick word of caution to Bob.
Velcro is not the best thing to use as sail ties. They can start pulling at the weekend threads in a sail and make them deteriorate much faster.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
03/06/2006 6:40 PM Pacific Time

I bought something similar to what you describe at Meijer. I found them near the tarps.

Geoff
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
03/08/2006 1:47 PM Pacific Time

In my workshop, I hang all manner of stuff from exposed joists, an ten foot long pipe over the bench, etc. etc. I use 1/4" nylon "parachute" cord. I tie one or two inch bowlines in each end of the cord. The length of each completed tie varies from four or five inches to well over a foot. In use, the line wraps around the thing to be hung, one bowline passes through the other, and the free loop hangs whatever needs to be hung.

On board, I tie off sails and suchlike the same way, except after passing one bowline through the other, I tuck in under the wrap just like a timber-hitch. It won't fail. And it's free. In this application there's no need for the second bowline; however, since that's how I find 'em in my possibles bag, that's how they get used.

They're also just right for quickly securing noisy shrouds, coils of line, a tiller that requires a third hand and so forth.

Unlike commercial fasteners, you can always get one just the right size. Now.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

07/11/2006 11:57 AM Pacific Time

I found them, they are called Cinch-It.
~~~
Mariner Sails Wind & Water Sports
972-241-1498 ext 203
972-241-1528 fax
1-800-536-9463
www.mariner-sails.com
has them. Turns out they are a bit pricey $2.65 each but I will get some anyway, I need another long one for furling the main.
They are totally adjustable to any length you need, just pull the bungee into the slot anywhere you need for the tightness that you want.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

07/11/2006 12:05 PM Pacific Time

Steven, I use to use ties like you describe above, I read your input after I wrote mine above. I wish I had read it last March, somehow I missed it. I guess I will make up some of those, I had forgotten about them. I had little hooks in the rope locker on TORCH with them on it and others about the boat. Never thought of using them for sail ties, thanks for reminding me.
Al Ge

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bugee Cords