Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Drilling holes for new bow eye

Author Drilling holes for new bow eye
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
03/05/2006 10:18 AM Pacific Time

I removed my old single bolt bow eye and repaired the hole in the bow, epoxied a new backing block in place, and repaired the gelcoat. Now I have to drill 2 new holes and install the new bow eye.
It was a lot of work to repair and I don;t want to screw up drilling the new holes - they have to be parallel, perpendicular, centered, etc. Especially parallel so the new double eye will insert.
Does anyone have any tricks or tips to help me drill the holes right the first time?
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
03/05/2006 12:39 PM Pacific Time

You need a simple jig.

Cut a chunk of a 4x4 at least six inches long. Put some lipstick on the ends of the threaded fasteneners. Center the fasteners over one of the 4x4's long sides and push down on the eye to register the fastener positions. Through drill the center of each lipsticked mark on the 4x4 with a drill bit equal to the O.D. of the threaded fasteners. These are best drilled on a drill press, or with a "Port-Align" equipped hand drill. The Port-Align and similar suchlike devices clamp to your hand drill and enable you to drill holes at right angles; or on some models, any angle you choose.

Hold your jig against the bow. Center it amidships. Fix 1x1 shims on either side of the bow's radius. You can tack 'em on the stern facing side of your 4x4 with brads, or use a hot glue gun or double sided carpet tape. They aren't strictly necessary, but it makes it alot easier to hold your jig dead-on-center while you drill. If you have a table saw handy, you can rip a 2x2 diagonally along its length. Now you'll have shims with a 45 degree angle; these will hold the 4x4 even more firmly.

Finally, hold the jig in place and shove a couple of lipsticked dowels through the holes. Centered? Drill away. If the marks aren't on center, adjust and start over.
After drilling the first hole, it's a good idea to shove one of your dowels through the jig and into the new opening; that way you're sure to get the second hole just right. And it goes without saying that this is another chore that goes better with the help of your first mate.

If you've never done this sort of drilling before, you might want to make two jigs, the first with, say, 1/4 inch holes; that way you can pre-drill the holes and "sneak-up" on the final size to match the O.D. of your eye's threaded fasteners.

Be sure to use nylon lock nuts, SS lock washers or one of the "liquid lock washers". And bed it in with your favorite goop to prevent leaks.

Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
03/05/2006 9:36 PM Pacific Time

Thank you, Steven. Great idea. I hope to get to it next weekend. I'll let you know how it turned out!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Drilling holes for new bow eye