Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Protectors

Author Shroud Protectors
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/07/2006 6:22 PM Pacific Time

Dick, you mentioned one inch PVC shroud protectors in a reply to my request for turnbuckle screws.. More questions: 1. What is the height of the PVC tube(s), 2. Does it vary for the lower and upper shrouds, 3. Is the one inch ID -or- OD and 4. do I purchase an endcap, drill a hole (or cut a slot) to affix to PVC pipe?

After all of the time and money on sails, this IS something I want to do!

Blaine
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Boat Name: Puravida

Model/Year: C27/1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
03/15/2006 5:16 PM Pacific Time

Blaine:

On my C27, the shroud protectors are 1" inside diameter, which I got from a local supply place here in CT for about $2 each, including the end cap. The protectors are solid, and the end caps have slots to fit over the rigging. Since my mast is unstepped each season, I simply slide them off when the mast comes off, clean them up, and store them for the next season. If your mast is always up, you can remove the shrouds one at a time, slide on the tube and move on to the next one. I still use rigging tape over the ends of my turnbuckles, just in case a protector suffers some debilitating demise during use. If you raise and lower your mast for each sail, just slide them on when it's down and you'll be all set.
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Boat Name: Puravida

Model/Year: C27/1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
03/15/2006 5:17 PM Pacific Time

A couple more things, the tubes are the same for all shrouds, and are about 18" tall on my rig...
Andy Kohler
Canton, GA

Boat Name: Good Times

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14778

Hailing Port: Atlanta
03/15/2006 5:47 PM Pacific Time

Blaine
one other item easy to get from the hardware store are sections of clear flexible plastic hoses (for water etc). They come in all diameters and I use a one foot sections around each turnbuckles and then place the plasic tubing that has been mention before on top. Its an easy / lazy way to check the turnbuckles/tapes etc.
Good Luck
Andy
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/16/2006 6:46 PM Pacific Time

Thanx! All..!

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Protectors