Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel cable hose length?

Author Keel cable hose length?
Dave Lilley
Schertz, Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7629

Hailing Port:
03/08/2006 12:40 PM Pacific Time

I recently bought a 1977 Catalina 22. The previous owner replaced the winch, cable, hose, etc. Everything looks really good, except the hose touches (rubs) on the drum of the winch a little. Maybe it is just me, but it seems a little long. How long should the tube be, and should it touch the winch?

Thanks,
Dave

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/08/2006 1:44 PM Pacific Time

I purchased a keel hose from CD and found it to be only about 12". I didn't use it! I went to my local marina, and purchase the same type of hose. Wire reinforced exhaust hose. I cut the hose to come right up to but not touching the winch. If it touches, it should not be a problem. You could cut it back maybe an inch. I like the hose to be as tall as possible. I want the top of the hose to be as high above the water line that it can be. Aparently CD doesn't think this is important, but I do.

Butchie

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/09/2006 2:53 AM Pacific Time

I had a similar problem when installing a new cable hose. See:

"Upgrade, Repair, Restoration and Refinishing Projects"
http://chipford.com/projects.htm

Scroll down to and click on:

"Keel Cable, Hose, Turning Ball Replacement"

In the second photo of the series (click "Next"), you'll read the caption:

"The new turning ball and pin, cable, and hose installed. I had to cut about ½" off the hose that came from Catalina Direct to clear the winch gear. (Mar. 13)"

There's another pretty good tip there too, suggested by Dick King ("Twilight Zone") that I incorporated.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Dave Lilley
Schertz, Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7629

Hailing Port:
03/10/2006 1:06 PM Pacific Time

I know the previous owner had replaced everything, but I haven't seen the ball in the volcano for myself. It is probably a good time to inspect it, so I will be pulling the hose off, trimming 1/2", and adding the pvc reinforcement.

Thanks for the info. Dave

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel cable hose length?