Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Roller furling

Author Roller furling
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
03/12/2006 7:22 PM Pacific Time

Michael Smalter;

I took your advice and bought a Schaeffer Snap furl for my boat. I also got the haylard stop # 7875 you advised. My boat is in the driveway with the mast down, so I thought while it was down I'd install the halyard stop Can you tell me exactly how far down from the top of the mast you mounted your stop, or would I have my mast mast up and the furler installed to determine mine? Thank you for your advice so far. I talked to a sail maker and he said I made the right choice by buying the Snap Furl.
Thank you,
Jim _/)
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/14/2006 3:46 PM Pacific Time

The middle of the restrainer is 4.5 inches below the top of the mast extrusion. This allows me to hoist a 150 if I tie the halyard to the top swivel. If I use a halyard shackle, the 150 won't go all the way up.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

03/15/2006 6:23 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for the measurements Michael !
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
03/15/2006 7:33 AM Pacific Time

Can you use your existing sails and what has to be done to them to use them on the snap furl and what is the cost to modify them .
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

03/16/2006 4:25 AM Pacific Time

Russ,
I have a 1989 vintage sail that I took to Sailor Tailor. They said it would not be worth cutting the sail due to the age, installing a luff tape and a UV cover.(somewhere around $400.00) I got prices from several sail lofts ranging from
$ 460 to $1200.
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Hull No. 10248

03/16/2006 7:40 AM Pacific Time

Jim, your saying it would be cheaper to shop around for a new sail?
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
03/16/2006 10:46 AM Pacific Time

I think Jim is saying it is not cost effective. It may not be cheaper.

You have to compare the cost of the modification to the life left in the sail and then compare that to the cost Vs life of a new furling sail. Then you may or may not want to spend the money for a new sail. Also, it sounds like the quotes are for cuttinging the sail so that it can be reefed on the furler. You can just add luff tape cheaper, but only be able to use the sail in it's full configuration. That may or may not meet your needs or wants.

Bob
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Hull No. 10248

03/16/2006 11:36 AM Pacific Time

Bob, do you know the difference in the shape of the sail when it is cut to reef on a furler, Than a standard sail that has a luff tape added and can not be reefed.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
03/16/2006 12:59 PM Pacific Time

No, I don't for sure. I think that a sail made to reef will be flatter so that it holds a shape at different amounts of furling. A jib not made to furl will not lie flat (it is built with some areodynamic shape), so it wrinkles as it is furled. A jib that is made to reef will also have padding built in along the luff to help keep its shape as it is furled. I am not certain of the technical aspects. I am just trying to remember some of what I was told when I looked into the same idea. I went with the new sail and am happy with it. The sail I was considering to convert is older and, as I was told, would not furl as effectively as a sail made for that purpose. I also purchased a 135. My existing jib was a 110. I can always make my furling jib smaller, but I can't increase the size of the 110. It would have been cheaper to convert my old sail, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been as happy with it.
Chris Carobene
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Boat Name: Celeritas

Model/Year: 1988 C-22

Hull No. CTYH4500J788

Hailing Port: Fort Pierce, FL
05/26/2007 7:31 AM Pacific Time

Hi. I have a Hood Profurl on my recently purchased 1988 C22. There is no halyard retainer and I have a big halyard wrap problem.

I plan on installing a retainer, but what position is the forstay at the masthead? Is it acceptable to install the forestay to the outer (spinnaker halyard) position? I imagine that this will increase the angle of the halyard and minimize the wrap problem.

Unfortunately I broke the halyard trying to furl the genoa, so I have to drop the mast to install the new halyard - so its a good time to add the retainer and change the masthead setup.

any thoughts?

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Roller furling