Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Kerosene lantern wicks?

Author Kerosene lantern wicks?
Ted
San Francisco, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1976 Catalina 27

Hull No.

Hailing Port: South SF
03/21/2006 11:57 PM Pacific Time

My 1976 C-27 came with a kerosene hurricane lanten mounted in the cabin. I'm assuming this is standard equipment with Catalina's of the mid-70s era, because it looks about that old (please let me know if I'm wrong). Anyway, I find it really handy to have a source of light that doesn't draw any power, but it's in need of a new wick.

Anyone know where I could procure one? There doesn't even seem to be an easy way to get the lamp off the wall.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/23/2006 3:54 AM Pacific Time

You did not mention what size wick you need. Living in Florida, hurricane lanterns are a fact of life. I get new wicks at the local hardware store. Candle shops or ship store might also carry them.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
03/24/2006 3:27 AM Pacific Time

It a,so might help to know what brand of lamp. they usually have a name imprinted on them like Dietz or Aladdin.
Aladdin, for example makes a kerosene lantern that has it's own wick and mantle that is similar to a Coleman lantern and burns at about the same level as a 60 watt electric bulb. I'm not sure I'd recommend that lamp on a sailboat though.
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
03/24/2006 8:59 AM Pacific Time

A wick is a wick is a wick.

My "possibles box" (flip over plastic Plano) has two rolls of wicking for the size lamps I use. I cut them in six inch strips. As I recall, I bought them from a lighting dealer. My fat ones are 7/8" wide. The ones that fit my little lamps are 1/2" wide. They have a red stripe running longitudinally down their centers. ..

If your lamp's one or the other, send me your address and I'll stuff a couple of the right size in an envelope 'til you find a vendor. I have about six feet left of each size.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Kerosene lantern wicks?