Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / West Coast Trailer Mfg?

Author West Coast Trailer Mfg?
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
03/26/2006 10:34 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know where to get a new trailer on the West Coast for a Catalina 22? I have an old trail rite trailer and it would probably be better to get a new trailer rather than to worry about this one all the time while moving the boat. I don’t need anything fancy like dual axles with brakes. Just a plain trailer like the one I have. Anyone know what this would cost?

Paul Taylor
#5431 Respite
Myrtle Point, OR
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
03/27/2006 1:22 PM Pacific Time

Paul:

I bought a great trailer from DHM Enterprises here in Sacramento about two years ago. The 1973 Catalina 22 that I purchased still had its original trailer. DHM gave me a quote of $1,500 to bring it up to snuff or $3,000 for a new trailer. Since I planned to put as many miles on the boat on the water as the freeways, I opted for the new trailer - even though, for a while, it was worth more money than the boat it was carrying!

DHM (formerly DHL - they had some trouble with the overnight package folks so they changed their name) had the contract for the trailers for Catalina's 22s in the 1980's so they still had the plans lying around. They had it ready for me in two weeks - just as promised. The $3,000 got me a fully-loaded single axel trailer with surge brakes although painted, not galvanized. They chopped up my old trailer for me although, in retrospect, I probably could have found someone for it who was willing to put in the money I wasn't.

DHM's website is www.dhmtrailers.com.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/27/2006 3:18 PM Pacific Time

i agree. dhm probably has the most experience building c22 trailers on the west coast.
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
03/27/2006 11:33 PM Pacific Time

3000 is a lot of money for a trailer. It would be hard to convince the Admiral that a new trailer would be worth it. Trail-Rite told me retail was the same price on their trailers but they would not sell me one since I am not a dealer.
Eric Petersen
Sacramento, CA

Boat Name: "Grace" Amazing Grace

Model/Year: Prototype 1963

Hull No. U/N

Hailing Port: Sacramento Marina
03/29/2007 4:27 PM Pacific Time

Kevin Murphy, of Carmichael, CA

Kevin: Are you sure they cut up your trailer ??? Boy I sure could use one to pull my boat out and take to the Boat Works in North Highlands as I have to have my boat out of the Sac Marina by 3/31. If anyone, in the Sacramento area has a trailer they could rent out please contact me at 916-247-9278 Thanks, Eric

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / West Coast Trailer Mfg?