Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / keel hanger

Author keel hanger
David Jones
Key Largo

Boat Name:

Model/Year: cat 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/26/2006 12:45 PM Pacific Time

I have a catalina 22 1977.The keel hanger assembly I just received is over 1/4 in wider than the ones I took off.[on each hanger] I am sure that the new ones will not fit without being shaved down. Anyne else have this situation? is there more than one size?
Thanks.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/26/2006 1:11 PM Pacific Time

The keel hangers are made oversize so they can be custom fit to yield close tolerances around any keel. I've heard some people use band saws to trim them. If you just need to shave a little off, a belt sander might work. Also, maybe a power miter saw with a metal cutting blade would work (clamp the work of course).
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/27/2006 7:33 AM Pacific Time

David - Measure the width of the keel pin hole. Add the width of a set of delrin washers to protect the keel finish from being ground by the ends of the new hangers. Install the new hangers and measure the gap between them. Subtract the gap measurement from the thickness of the keel and washers. Divide the remainder by two and visit your local machine shop. They are set up to do precision milling and it is worth the fee. If they screw it up, you have some recourse. If you do, you are out the price of a new set of hangers and have the chance to repeat the screw up..

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / keel hanger