Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / removing top of the mast?

Author removing top of the mast?
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/28/2006 8:35 PM Pacific Time

Hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm a newbie C-22 owner (1988) and I want to rewire the mast lighting and coax for the VHF antenna.
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/28/2006 8:36 PM Pacific Time

Oops - hit the return key accidently.

Anyways, how do I take the top of the mast off so I can gain access from that end?
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/29/2006 2:41 PM Pacific Time

Bill -

Have you got the mast down? The masthead truck (the 'top') comes off quite easily - it's not welded on. I think from memory it is held in place by the bolt holding the the fittings that attach to the upper shrouds. If not it's simply bolted through the top of the mast. Note that your model has a masthead anchor light - be careful not to pull the electrical connections loose in the process and test the light before you raise the mast again.

Someone may be able to guide you as to the right routing of the antenna cable - where to drill the hole in the truck.

Paul
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
04/20/2006 6:05 PM Pacific Time

When I got Moon Glow, she was without a mast. After locating a new style "stick" (a mast without spreaders, brackets, masthead, exit blocks, etc..), I proceeded to order and install all new factory components from Catalina Yachts.

I asked a few relevant questions while communicating with tech support and basically got the following answers regarding installation of anchor and steaming lights.

With a "factory" outfitted mast, a PVC pipe is installed using a specially designed fixture (a long pole with a piece of wood shaped to fit the mast with a cut-out) to hold the PVC pipe against the forward section of the mast (opposite groove) while drilling and then riveting. The process is then repeated a number of times until the entire length is attached and requires re-positioning for each fastening point. The wiring is then pulled through the pipe.

I have not installed an anchor -or- steaming light... yet. The above procedure introduces too many holes for my comfort level. When at anchor, I just pull up a light with the main halyard and have a downhaul attached to make sure it returns to the deckl. Also, a bungee and common portable automotive sealed halogen light with 12 volt adapter work great for the steamer..

Blaine King
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/22/2006 8:25 PM Pacific Time

I had a 87 and remember there was a extra runner line left in the mast for pulling wires through the conduit, and we used that when we installed the VHF antenna wire. Are you interested in sailing with other Catalina 22's? There's a fleet (12) of us at Scotts Flat Lake in Nevada City. My e-mail and phone number is on the www.catalina22.org website or go to www.gcyc.net

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / removing top of the mast?