Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / New C-22

Author New C-22

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/01/2006 9:52 AM Pacific Time

How is the new C-22 fairing against the older boats in racing? We have none of the new boats in our area racing. Has the new model over come the slower and heavy weight of the mid 80's production and more similar results to the older boats?
Bill Kreston
Longboat Key, FL

Boat Name: None

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/08/2006 1:26 PM Pacific Time

I noticed that # 15566 which is Zydeo Woman a 22 Sport came in 2nd at the 2005 Wurstfest Regatta. He came in 1st 2 of 5 races. There are some racing pictures on the Canyon Lake Yacht Club website.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
04/09/2006 5:39 AM Pacific Time

Last year at the Fort Worth Boat club opening day regatta Zydeo Woman was contending with Pete Harper and 3 other boats, and another Sport was contending with the last 5 boats, and I think wound up last. I was trying my best to stay out of last place as were the other 4 of the 'second' fleet.
I am a firm believer that it is more the sailor than the boat.
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/09/2006 5:45 PM Pacific Time

we have a gentleman who says he's going to bring a c22 sport to the gold rush 2006 c22 national regatta at scotts flat lake, nevada city, ca. it will be interesting to see how he does, but i'm of the opinion that the skipper has more to do with it than the boat when the boats are pretty evenly matched. yes i know there are several model of c22's and some think they're not even, but it's better than most keel boat classes i've seen or participated on. just my two cents for what's it worth.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/10/2006 5:43 AM Pacific Time

As for class rules, and such. One day when I first got my first C22 and heard about older boats doing better, I walked around and measured the J dimension on all the boats in the yard. That is the perpendicular distance from the mast to the headstay tack. They varied +/- 4 inches, of course that was from the base of the mast not the true perpendicular measure, which is hard to get to. But this then will vary the distance of the keel to the mast step which effects the pointing ability of a boat. So yes, I think the class is not tight on critical measurements, but we have to have cushions, thankfully they don't have to be in place, I just stuff them forward. Food for thought, Al Ge
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/10/2006 6:36 AM Pacific Time

Actually Al, the cushion requirement has gone away. One of those rules changes done by fiat by the rules committee. Yea, it was news to me too.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/11/2006 7:15 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for telling me, Dick, I think that is at least a step in the right direction. Knowing the variation in J diminsion, I use the plum-bob for setting the rake of the mast, I think it is more accurate.
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

04/12/2006 2:32 PM Pacific Time

not only the cushions but also the table. but you still have to have those little finger hole boards over all the interior hatches. the next thing to go might be the 4hp motor rule. we're working on it right now, and the rules committee/board may vote by may 1st
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/13/2006 5:41 AM Pacific Time

Getting rid of the motor rule would be good, at a leeward mark a boat called for over lap, we looked and said there was none, he swung up and we heard a bump, didn't see anything, at the finish we had to resign, he had hit the tip of the motor and broke it off. Luckily we retrieved it, only to have it stolen 4 months later.
I think the mast position is more critical, now that Gene's boat is in our yard, I guess I should measure it, I'll try and remember.
Al Ge

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
04/22/2006 7:38 AM Pacific Time

I thought I'd chime in on the new Sport discussion. I think the new Sport is a great asset to the class. For those people who do not want to or can't invest the time and trouble renovating an old boat you can buy a new Sport and be competative.

Someone mentioned Craig White in his new Sport Zydeco Woman. For those who don't know Craig he is a great sailer and Zydeco is his 2nd C22. His first 22 was Shaboom #1950 and he placed 2nd in the '96 Nationals in Ft Worth. He took a couple years off to race the J80 and got back into the C22 class with the new Sport. He placed 7th in the '05 Nationals in the new Sport.

How would I rate the new Sport against an older C22?

I'd say they are equal, not any faster, not any slower. Catalina did a terrific job of replicating the old boat. This is not to say you can take an old beat up boat or a new Sport not set up correctly and be cometative. It takes hard work and experience to move to the top of the class.

Good Sailing, Pete Harper

Lucas, TX

Hull No. 1110

04/22/2006 7:45 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Al, We don't get rid of the motor on the back of the boat.

The proposed rule is to remove the 4HP requirement and set the rule at 40lbs min only. The new 4-cycle motors are heavier than the old 2-cycle and you can't find a 4-cycle 4HP that weighs anything close to 40lbs. The new rule allows you to use a 3 or 3.5HP motor that weighs 40lbs.

I'm with you, we should be able to take them off the back of the boat. I almost deep sixed Jim Deeter's motor on a Port crossing. Lucky for me the fuel line stayed attached and they were able to safely fish it out of the water.

Good Sailing, Pete Harper
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/22/2006 11:17 PM Pacific Time

Hi Pete - Good to see your words again. I really miss you on the C22 list. You speak of proper set up to be competetive. Any words of wisdom for the Sport? Is the set up any different than Hummingbirds?

We have been running a very loose rig with the lowers barely hand tight. When I ease the backstay the mast about falls out of the boat. She is very fast downwind. When going up wind my crew really likes little scallops in the genoa luff. He claims its fast. I think it looks like hell. Any tuning or sail trim recommendations?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/23/2006 5:56 AM Pacific Time

Yes, Pete, it is good to here from you, where is Lake Levon? I might have to pay the $25 and join the assoc. again, just to be able to sail against you in our Annual Regatta here in Arlington, not that I'm competetive any more, but I think it's fun to try. I have a new genny coming to work with '92 mainsail, just cannot afford more right now. Cheers.
Al Ge
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/23/2006 6:10 AM Pacific Time

Ps. Will my little 4hp, some bit less than forty pounds be legal? I cannot lift the 65lb 9.9hp up to mount it. Here is where such strict weight rules are futile, the difference between Willie Blevins and Marilyn Boemer sitting back there is so much greater than the 5-10 lbs of a motor, that I don't think it is a good rule. Why not "An operable motor that will provide safety of the boat in weather that is excessive for sailing". Other than that, I think it has to be the responsibility of the skipper for the safety of his boat.
For what ist's worth,
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

04/26/2006 7:27 PM Pacific Time

I was one of the proposers of the rule change several years ago. My first option was to not required a motor and leave it up to the skippers judgement. No way would I depend on a 4hp motor "for safety". One of my selling points for the rule change was the fact that some areas require 4 stroke (Lake Tahoe) vs. 2 stroke and lifting a very heavy motor. After much discussion the proposal before the One Design Committee and Directors is "An operable outboard motor whose combined weight with associated fuel tank must weigh at least 40 pounds. The outboard motor must be mounted on the motor bracket. Should the minimum weight requirement not be met, then ballast must be added on the motor bracket or outboard motor to meet the 40 pound minimum weight requirement." I'm not totally happy with this change and still don't see the motor as a "safety item" but it's a start.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

04/26/2006 7:30 PM Pacific Time

FYI, we have a new Sport Model registered for the Gold Rush 2006 C22 National Championship Regatta. You can check out the boats registered to race so far at www.gcyc.net and then click on the C22 National box, click on registrations.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/27/2006 6:25 AM Pacific Time

I'm sure that my little 4hp would get me off a lee shore with the sails down, it doesn't take much. I think the discussion should be about what the rule is for, equal weight or safety. I think there are a few other things that should be checked that we don't. I still say it is more the sailor than the boat and + or - an 1/8" on batten length is not one of the things that matter.
Al Ge

Lucas, TX

Hull No. 1110

04/27/2006 12:45 PM Pacific Time

Al, Lake Levon is East of Allen right across town from you. I keep my boat in my front yard and travel to regattas.

Didn't you hear Alrington gave up their chance for the Texas State Champs. Too many AYC members complained about having to join the National Association so we've moved the regatta to Lake Lewisville. Your going to have to get the dust off your wallet and send the C22 National Association $25 if you're going to race.

Good Sailing, Pete
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

04/28/2006 5:16 AM Pacific Time

I did join on line. Just because we aren't going to be the Texas State Championship, aren't we still a good regatta for the C22's to come to? Now I wish I hadn't spent the money.
Al Ge
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Boat Name: A Little Class

Model/Year: 2006 Catalina Sport

Hull No. 15637

Hailing Port: Hunington Lake
06/05/2007 6:30 PM Pacific Time

I have a 2006 sport and have been working out the kinks. So far I added the adjustable back stay , the internal out haul and clutches on each side of the companion way. I also like the life lines so installed a pair jib rollers near the pulpit and on the top side of the spreaders . Not raced yet but we'er entered in the Small Craft Advisor Race in July 07. I also installed backings on my life line poles and the forstay turnbuckle support kit . So far so good as I've sailing out of Morro Bay Ca. and have been able to reef in .
Rob Fowler
Chattanooga, TN

Boat Name: Duck Soup

Model/Year: C22 Sport

Hull No. 15597

Hailing Port:
07/06/2007 9:01 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a 2006 Sport, but was able to race another sport in our local regatta prior to buying mine. We came in second behind an older boat, a 500 series I think. With new sails on both boats, we noticed that the sport seemed to point at least as high as the older boats, and had very good boatspeed upwind. Downwind, I think we may have been just a little slower, but not by much. A couple of moves injto better breeze and we would have done better. I like the sport a lot, and can't wait to actually get mine in the water.
Branin Thorn
Florence, SC

Boat Name: AARRGH

Model/Year: 2007

Hull No. 15676

Hailing Port: New Bern
12/02/2007 12:41 PM Pacific Time

Rob, I just bought a 22 sw and have had several of the same problems. did you ever get the boom cap off? I had the same problem and was VERY frustrated, but did install the internal outhaul and love it. I am attaching my email if you want to campare some noted. I have adjustable back stay, internal outhaul, cunningham, vang, reefing system and a few others. I am racing PHRF and doing well against Tanzer 26, Catalna 25 pearson 30. so far.

Branin thorn
[email protected]

good luck
Branin Thorn
Florence, SC

Boat Name: AARRGH

Model/Year: 2007

Hull No. 15676

Hailing Port: New Bern
12/02/2007 12:41 PM Pacific Time

Rob, I just bought a 22 sw and have had several of the same problems. did you ever get the boom cap off? I had the same problem and was VERY frustrated, but did install the internal outhaul and love it. I am attaching my email if you want to campare some noted. I have adjustable back stay, internal outhaul, cunningham, vang, reefing system and a few others. I am racing PHRF and doing well against Tanzer 26, Catalna 25 pearson 30. so far.

Branin thorn
[email protected]

good luck

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / New C-22