Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / VHF radio location?

Author VHF radio location?
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/04/2006 1:02 PM Pacific Time

I'm replacing the ancient VHF radio on my boat - it is currently installed in the cabin under the starboard cockpit seat.

My question is whether there is a better place to install it? Where do other folks have their fixed VHF radio installed?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/04/2006 2:27 PM Pacific Time

I installed mine on the ceiling underneath the starboard winch. I didn't drill any holes, just removed the existing acorn nuts, installed the bracket, and reinstalled the acorn nuts. I may have had to drill an extra hole inthe bracket.
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
04/04/2006 5:32 PM Pacific Time

My VHF radio is installed in the cabin, starboard side, hung under the side window, above the shelf, all the way aft. I can hear it just fine as long as the wind is not howling; if that's the case I just clip my handheld VHF to my life jacket up on my shoulder and listen in.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/04/2006 11:07 PM Pacific Time

Mine is starboard under the window. My radio had as an option a small extension speaker that plugs in to the back of the radio. It's on a cord. I just pull it out into the cockpit and drop it into my halyard bag that's fixed next to the companionway.

Paul
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
04/05/2006 10:28 AM Pacific Time

Hi - I bought WindChaser (pictured solution) and I have been real happy with this setup: http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200106/200106.htm#SwingArm

The compass was missing however and I am wondering once I get once installed again, will this setup impact the readings. Thoughts anyone? Anyone have an extra compass :-)?
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
04/06/2006 10:06 AM Pacific Time

Stefan, I would advise against putting the compass anywhere near your other electronics. The voltage that the electronics uses cause an electromagnetic field and this will change the deviation of the compass from slight to several degrees. The strength of the field depends on the amount of voltage consumed which in turn varies the amount of deviation of the compass. Therefore you can not accurately gauge how for off the compass could be do to the elctronic interference it will vary. Try this, put you compass by your VHF then turn on VHF notice the movement of the compass now key the mike on the vhf, yet another deviation can be noticed on the compass.
I will add that the further that your compass is from the electronics the less of a change you will see.

Vernon
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
04/07/2006 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Don't forget that the radio speaker and the microphone have permanent magnets built into them. This can present a real problem to locating both the radio and the compass. I helped a friend mount a bulkhead compass and it worked well. He sold the boat and the next time I saw her, the new owners had installed 8" stereo speakers in the cabin bulkheads on each side of the hatch. The one was right under the compass.

Greg
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
04/08/2006 8:17 AM Pacific Time

Greg - very true, very true. I think I might flip my radio/depth mounting to the other side should I decide to reinstall the compass (since there a 4" hole there :-)!) I still think this simple little woodworking project serves as a great VHF location and it's out of the way when you need it to be.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / VHF radio location?