Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Bending on slides

Author Bending on slides
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
04/10/2006 6:30 PM Pacific Time

I am replacing my old main with bolt rope with a new main with slides.
I have the sail track kit from CD to fill the wide mast slot on the track.
When I bend on the new main do I have to insert the slides into the
wide slot before installing the mast gate?
I've never done this before so I need some help.

Thanks in advance,
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
04/11/2006 7:18 AM Pacific Time

Yes, you will have to put the slides in first, because the mast gate opening will be closed by the kit.
Al Ge
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/11/2006 11:23 PM Pacific Time

I sometimes get tempted to do the mast gate installation but just can't see the benefit (probably because the cost getting it halfway round the world along with the exchange rate makes it less of a 'no brainer'). A thumb screw/stopper in the mast slot just above the opening is all I've used in the past six years to prevent the slugs from dropping out. I don't have a problem with reefing - if the weather looks like I'll need a reef I just don't put in the bottom two slugs.

Paul
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/13/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul - Do you leave the main on the mast, while the boat is on its mooring? If you do, then it is probably worthwhile to get (or make) a set of mast gates. They can be made from some short strips of carpet molding.

The knurled nut slug, to which you refer, has two distinct disadvantages. First, it has an affinity for water. It will seek it (overboard) at every opportunity. Second, the aluminum "nut" has a great affinity for the stainless screw in the slug. It will bind with it corrosively if left unattended for any length of time, especially in a salt environment.

An alternative, which I like to tout, is a 1/4x3/4 ball lock pin attached to the mast with a short piece of 1/16 inch cable. You drill a 1/4 inch hole in the back of the mast sail track about a quarter inch from the top of the slug/bolt rope slot of the mast. Put in the slugs and put the pin in the hole. No fuss, no mus. It almost takes longer to say it, than to do it.

Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/17/2006 4:27 AM Pacific Time

Hi, Dick,

I leave my main on the boom but the sail cover is too small so I can only roll the sail flat on the boom, so the slugs don't stay slotted into the mast. As a result I use the knurled screw every time I sail so it's never galled. Funny thing is the slug was just a little fat when I got it so I had to file it slightly to make it go into the slot. This turned into a blessing rather than a curse since it doesn't fall out when I let it go (clearance too tight).

Paul

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Bending on slides