Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Step Plate.

Author Mast Step Plate.
Rico Weber
Meridian, ID

Boat Name: Jubilation

Model/Year: Catalina 22 SK, 1975

Hull No. 4982

Hailing Port: Rico's Bay
04/18/2006 12:51 PM Pacific Time

The two holes for securing the mast step plate are elongated in the direction of port-to-starboard. I assume this is so that the mast can be positioned on the center line of the boat to make up for the actual holes in the deck not being exactly centered. Is this correct or is there another reason for the elongated holes?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
04/18/2006 8:02 PM Pacific Time

It's a stupid design and my mast twists in the plate becaue of this. I tried to 'fill the slot with West Epoxy, without filler, and it broke out. I now have JB Weld in the slot and am going to see how that works.
Larry
Rico Weber
Meridian, ID

Boat Name: Jubilation

Model/Year: Catalina 22 SK, 1975

Hull No. 4982

Hailing Port: Rico's Bay
04/25/2006 11:51 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Larry. Hope the JB Weld works for you. I talked to CD and they said that if you have a halyard plate you can attach the mast step plate to it by appling sealant/adhesive (I think it is 3m 4200). They say it will not move. The halyard plate has round holes so everything should work fine. I decided to purchase the mast step plate# D1123 from Catalina Direct. This plate has round holes instead of the elongated ones. This way I do not have to mess with the sealant and I am confident it will not shift.
Take care- Rico
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
05/17/2006 7:20 PM Pacific Time

The slotted holes are so that the mast step will pivot if the shrouds or stays encounter a sudden impact and the mast gets twisted. Having the mast step pivot is better than incur damage to the fiberglass in that critical area.

The old aluminum mast step, which has straight holes and is no longer available, literally falls apart when the mast gets twisted by a sudden impact on the shrouds or stays. I know this from personal experience. Luckily, I found someone who has an old aluminum mast step to replace mine destroyed when my boat and trailer fell over in a winter storm and the port upper shroud hit a dock. No fiberglass damage, but I am replacing the flat sided mast that is badly bent with an old style oval mast.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
05/18/2006 6:33 AM Pacific Time

What Bayard described is exactly what happened to me this winter. The upper shroud was knocked out of the spreader while at the yard somehow, and the mast step shifted under the tension rather than ripping up the deck or ruining the plate. I removed the plate, rebedded the entire plate in silicone(as this was what I found when I removed it) and re-bolted it down. I chose to silicone it down first, let that set up overnight, and went back the next day to put in the bolts and tighten.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Step Plate.