Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Screetching companionway hatchcover

Author Screetching companionway hatchcover
Jenn Oese
Breckenridge, CO

Boat Name: Summer's Edge

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Frisco, CO
04/19/2006 10:55 AM Pacific Time

Anyone have any ideas to stop the screetch that happens when I slide the companionway hatch open and closed? Last summer I tried SailKote - which made a slight difference - but not much of one.

Thanks in advance!
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
04/19/2006 11:42 AM Pacific Time

Jenn,

I think that the screech happens because the groves that the hatch cover slides in wear and then the hatch cover rides lower, or closer to the cabin top. This causes the front of the cover to contact the top of the cabin and screech. You can remove, then rebed the hatch cover slides with some kind of a gasket to raise them a bit which compensates for the wear. A better solution, if you are handy, is to actually fill the grooves with epoxy and recut them with a table saw to raise the groove a bit. I'm not so handy. I put a rubber gasket under the slides and it helped reduce the screech significantly. It will return in time. You could buy new slides, but that is more expensive and definitely not as much fun. ;-)

Bob
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
04/19/2006 11:48 AM Pacific Time

Another thought.

My comment was based on the assumption that the hatch cover flanges are in good shape. If they are worn, they may be flexing and allowing the hatch to ride lower with the same results. I used a fiberglass repair kit and reenforced the flanges on mine which helped also.

Bob
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
04/20/2006 8:56 AM Pacific Time

Take the hatch wood off and then put a 1/8 or 1/4 in cork gasket under it. You can get this from any automotive store. This will raise your hatch sufficiantly to stop the screaching.
Marty Clarke
Austin, Texas

Boat Name: Stone Whale

Model/Year: 1982 C-25

Hull No. 3253

Hailing Port: Yacht Harbor, Lake Travis
05/23/2006 11:04 AM Pacific Time

Jenn,

A freind, on his C-25, used plasit furniture sliders. The kind that go under the chair legs to make furniture slide on teh carpet. Picked em up at Home Depot. They are about an inch round and rest on the front lower corner of the hatch cover. The cover slides on these and the noise is gone, the cover moves more easily. I just picked some up at lunch today for about $2.00 for my boat.

Marty
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
05/24/2006 3:06 AM Pacific Time

Here is how I fixed my cover

http://www.askbj.com/users/joyful/

Uwe

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/24/2006 7:49 AM Pacific Time

Here's how I fixed mine:

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200605/200605.htm#Sliding_Hatch
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/24/2006 4:31 PM Pacific Time

Dale - Just saw that too. I'm hooked on your newsletter! I don't know that any other fleet does as good a job, and you guys seem to be having a lot of fun. Makes me want to move to Portland just to join in.

Paul
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
05/24/2006 5:50 PM Pacific Time

You can also sand away the front edge of the hatch cover where it drags - the part across the front that turns down. I added fiberglass and then drilled out the groves to the sides of the cover but later learned that just sanding down the parts that dragged and screeched did the trick.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/24/2006 6:40 PM Pacific Time

Dale - Just saw that too. I'm hooked on your newsletter! I don't know that any other fleet does as good a job, and you guys seem to be having a lot of fun. Makes me want to move to Portland just to join in.

Paul

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Screetching companionway hatchcover