Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Boom Vang

Author Boom Vang
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
04/20/2006 8:36 AM Pacific Time

I have a 78 Catalina 22 with a 10' boom. How far out on the boom do I mount the connection for the "boom vang"?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/21/2006 5:43 AM Pacific Time

Hi Roger - For your model, the top of the boom gooseneck (and the boom) should be 42 inches above the lower end of the mast. To get the best angle for downward force on the boom as far out as possible, you need to attach the boom vang 42 inches from the aft face of the mast.
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
04/21/2006 7:30 AM Pacific Time

Dick, Thanks for the information. Roger
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
04/29/2006 7:00 PM Pacific Time

What Dick really meant to say is: "For your model, the top edge of the boom is 42 inches above the mast step."

Thus one can see with the vang on the boom 42 inches way from the aft face of the mast, an excellent 45 degree angle is achieved with the vang attached to the bottom of the mast where the mast step locates.

But actually due to the roughly two to three inch thickness of the boom, the vang should be mounted a bit closer to the mast, or at roughly 41 inches away from the aft face of the mast to achive that perfect 45 degree angle. Dick uses a strap over his boom to hold his vang, so his measurement would be 42 inches to mount the plates for that strap. However, for the rest of us using the more conventional boom vang bail that mounts on the bottom of the boom, the measurement for the "eye" of that bail would be about 41 inches.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/30/2006 5:40 AM Pacific Time

Bayard - No, I said what I meant to say. I know what the rule says, but the wording of the rule is not as precise (where the mast step meets the deck, top or bottom of the mast step, etc. So I advised the lower end of the mast, which is what the rule intended. It takes all the ambiguity out of the statement.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Boom Vang