Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Adjustable backstay--is it worth it?

Author Adjustable backstay--is it worth it?
jamie wheal
Mt. Airy, MD

Boat Name: Peggy-O

Model/Year: 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Annapolis
04/23/2006 10:06 AM Pacific Time

We're considering replacing the rigging, and wondered if anyone has opinions on the adjustable backstays--both from adding any convenience/speed to trailer rigging/derigging, as well as pointing and heavy air performance adjustments

Thanks!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/24/2006 4:32 AM Pacific Time

Jamie - It is absolutely worth it; for the reasons you just stated. No more messing with the forestay turnbuckle, If you run your aft lowers loose enough, you can also hook up the forward lowers without adjusting them.

Just make sure you use the "six part tackle" system and not the "squeeze the bridle" system. The latter does not give you enough adjustment between full on and full off and can be a real pain while putting up the mast. Send me a message and I will reply with an article on th 6 part system and a few photos of one.

(phonetics) romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net.
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
04/24/2006 6:25 AM Pacific Time

I agree and wish to add, you need to adjust the backstay to adjust forestay tension ,over time and in various wind conditions you will see a big difference.

Phil
jamie wheal
Mt. Airy, MD

Hull No.

04/25/2006 12:22 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Dick and Phil for the input--the main reason I would want one is to ease trailering--I was looking into the quick release toggles for the lower stays and forestay (cdi furler) in the hopes that we could trim a tedious and fiddly hour rigging to somewhere closer to the 30 min. racer folks claim!

With an adjustable backstay and QR on the forestay and forward lower shrouds, can you leave the aft stays connected and raise/lower the mast without any additional tuning?

On the sailing performance side, does cranking down on the backstay depower the leech and allow twist off in the puffs, and simultaneously increase forestay tension so the jib billows less? And if you keep backstay tension loose--what happens then? Fuller sail, better pointing?

Thanks!
jamie wheal
Mt. Airy, MD

Hull No.

04/25/2006 12:48 PM Pacific Time

forgot one more question--

tensionometers--are they useful, and does the mid line $45 at CD do as good a job as the spendier Lews one? If I didn't communicate it in the last posts, my goal is to be able to tune the rigging once a year (more or less) disconnect and reconnect three pins and be up and sailing without any further fiddling. Is this possible?
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
04/26/2006 9:12 AM Pacific Time

Jamie,

I don't have an adjustable backstay but I did install CD's quick release hardware on the forestay and both forward lower shrouds. We also trailer our boat and the quick releases cut the rigging time a lot. But the best we can do is still around 45 min. That does include extending the tongue on the trailer and mounting the motor though. The only disadvantage I have found for the quick release hardware is that I had to make larger turnbuckle rollers for the forward lowers . I used 1 1/2 inch electrical conduit and they look a bit clunky but do the job. I have the smaller Lews gage but only use it once or twice a season. The tension seems to be pretty stable even with the quick release hardware.

Greg Baker
Michael McKeown
Crescent City, Florida

Boat Name: Proudmary

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1985

Hull No. 12700

Hailing Port: Lake Crescent
06/04/2008 7:47 PM Pacific Time

I just received the new adjustable backstay. Is it necessary to replace the one 3/8" eye bolt with the new 1/2" eyebolt? It looks daunting and cutting of holes in the transome. I checked Chip Ahoy's page and he does not seeem to answer as whether he was able to secure the bolt.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
06/05/2008 8:56 AM Pacific Time

I use two 3/8" chainplates for my backstay bridle. Some people tap an thread the chainplate to the brass bar that may be in the transom. Some people cut a hole and cover it with a $5 louvered plate.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
06/06/2008 8:46 AM Pacific Time

When I bought my '89 in 2001, it had the stock single backstay. The nut on the chain plate bolt had loosened and the ring had pulled out enough to rip the retaining screws out of the gelcoat. I bought the adjustable backstay from CD and drilled and tapped the hole in the transom for the new eyebolt. I was then able to snake a socket with a long extension inside the transom and tighten the nut on the old eyebolt. I screwed the ring bac in after fixing the gelcoat cracks with marinetex. The rig is still holding up fine after all these years and I'm very glad I added this option. If you cant get at the nut, you must cut an access port as this is definitely an area that can cause a major problem if not attended to.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Adjustable backstay--is it worth it?