Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Replacing keel cable hose only

Author Replacing keel cable hose only
Glenn Ruggles
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Bonita

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 8706

Hailing Port: Conroe Yacht Club
04/24/2006 8:53 PM Pacific Time

I'm planning on replacing the cable hose only because I'm concerned about leakage. I know I should replace the cable also, but it looks ok and I don't really have time to put the boat on the lift right now in order to detach it from the keel.

Can I unwind the cable from the winch and detach it from the winch while the boat is on the trailer in order to replace the hose -- or is this the wrong way to go about it ?

Thanks.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/25/2006 8:45 AM Pacific Time

Hi Glenn - Remember the old rule that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is the area leaking? This is not a place that needs preventative maintenance if there are no signs of leakage.

If you must replace the hose and you can get the boat on a trailer, you can unwind the cable from the winch. The easiest way would be to support the keel, slack the cable, slightly and remove the drum from the winch be removing the 3/8" bolt that serves as the axle. Unwind the cable (Write down which way the cable is wound!) and then loosen the clamps on the hose and pull it off the "volcano." Be careful not to dislodge the turning ball located in the top of the "volcano." MAKE SURE TO MEASURE THE OLD HOSE, SO YOU CAN MAKE THE NEW ONE THE SAME LENGTH. There have been some reports that the replacement hose is cut too long. Clean the top of the "volcano" throughly, coat it with a layer of 3M 4200, thread the cable through the new hose, install the hose and double clamp it with good quality hose clamps.

Although it is not directly related to your situation, I recommend you read through my cable replacement procedure located at: http://chipford.com/cable_replace.htm

Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Glenn Ruggles
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Bonita

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 8706

Hailing Port: Conroe Yacht Club
04/25/2006 1:15 PM Pacific Time

Dick,

Thanks for the help. I've decided to wait and replace the cable, turning ball, and hose all at the same time later this year. Doesn't make sense to me to do it a piece at a time. I've got some water coming into the bilge from somewhere though and would like to figure out where it's coming from.

Thanks again for the tips and I'll check out your notes on Chip's website.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Replacing keel cable hose only