Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Top speed under sail

Author Top speed under sail
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
05/11/2006 5:19 PM Pacific Time

Hello everyone-
I was wondering what speeds everyone has seen from their 22. I was sailing in a lake near me a few weeks ago and it was quite windy, somewhere in the 25-30 MPH range. I was flying a full main and a jib and saw bursts of about 6.8 knots per the GPS, settling to around 6 knots average. I was having a hard time balancing the boat due to a non functional outhaul and/either/or no adjustable backstay and no reef in the main. I had a good bit of heel, didn't get the rail in the water, but it was close, and a ton of weather helm.

I was really just out pushing the boat and me to see how things would react. There was water breaking over the bow at times (quite entertaining) and generally just an exciting ride. The day before in more moderate conditions, we were averaging about 5 knots and the boat was sailing beautifully and seemed able to run with any boat out there.

I'm a relatively new sailor and am interested to know how much more speed the boat has and any input on balancing the boat better would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ken
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
05/12/2006 5:47 AM Pacific Time

I've seen bursts to 7.2 knots on Pog Mo Thoin!. However, my top sustained is in the high 6s.
Joseph Schuler
Princeton, NJ

Boat Name: Cats' Feet

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. K26

Hailing Port: Raritan Bay, NJ; RYC
05/12/2006 10:29 AM Pacific Time

I once hit 7.4 surfing down 6' high waves, but averaged in the high sixes for the whole run. There is a pretty incredible sound when you hit speeds like that - like a freight train coming through the hull of the boat.
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
05/13/2006 2:40 PM Pacific Time

My top speed, by the gps, was 7.2 knots.
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
06/01/2009 7:21 AM Pacific Time

We hit 6.4 mph the other day on the lake for our first time. Scary and thrilling all at the same time! We couldn't sustain a close haul. The boat wanted to either head up or fall off. I'm assuming this was due to a poorly tuned boat: billowy sails, lose rigging, new sailors, etc. I have no idea what the wind speed was. We're ready for more!
zz
Jon Glendye
Somerset, MA 02725

Boat Name: DylIan

Model/Year: C-22 1969-1970 ?

Hull No. 302

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
08/13/2009 7:56 AM Pacific Time

Not to brag...OK, maybe a little : ) ... We touched 8.1 (GPS) surfing 6-8' seas on a beam-reach from Cuttyhunk to our mooring in Fairhaven...12+ nautical miles in 2 hours-40 min. !!!! Awesome (as in "fear or wonder inspiring") ride home! Any other Buzzards Bay sailors out there???

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Top speed under sail