Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Briggs & Stratton

Author Briggs & Stratton
Brian Pace
Columbus, Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 88

Hull No. 14342

Hailing Port:
05/17/2006 5:39 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone tried the Briggs and Stratton 5 hp? What about shaft Length? Will a 15" work or is 20+ required?
If not what is the best, smallest racing motor?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/18/2006 7:35 PM Pacific Time

C22 class rules are being changed to eleminate horsepower as a requirement for a motor while racing. You will still need a operable motor in place on the transom motor bracket, but only be required to meet the weight limit of 40 pounds including fuel. If the motor and fuel doesn't weigh 40 pounds you will be allowed to add weight to the motor bracket to reach the 40 pounds.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/19/2006 5:26 AM Pacific Time

With the variation in skipper weight at +/- 100 lb., and the total weight of boats at +/- 200 lb., doesn't a 40 lb motor requirement seem a bit of over kill. Most don't think of the motor as a safety feature that is necessary for racing since race committees take the boats off the water at the first sign of lightening, which is well before a storm. Yes, I went out with a willing crew of two others, when the races were called off becuse of high winds and cold, and we didn't use the motor either in or out. I've Gene finish a race with just a jib or genny when everyone else quit, including me because my crew was panicky. I think that Gene uses his motor going in and out for convenience because he likes to be the first out of the water. But I don't think that is a good reason for making a motor a requirement, I seldom use mine. So what is the reason for having a motor?
Al Ge
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
05/26/2006 7:06 PM Pacific Time

Al-
You & Gene Ferguson are diehard damn good racers based on a small lake.
Some of the rest of us are novices compared to you guys.
Some people sail offshore & a motor is good sensible insurance toward getting back home in one piece. A few live/sail in tidal areas (What'n the heck is that?)
Others, like me, keep our boats in marinas where we're not allowed to sail out of the marina (long skinny shallow channels with 2' of water on the sides down here).
So I guess a motor isn't necessary (Houston Yacht Club members sail their boats out of the club- they're right on Galveston Bay & All you have to do to get your boat sailing is kick away from the pier with sails up. NO, I ain't jealous of that!!!!) but for some of us it's simply very convenient to say the least.
Oops, I just fell off my soapbox.
BTW, Thanks for the hospitality at AYC a few years back. Enjoyed meeting a bunch of really nice people, including Gene & yourself, & the racing, too.

Lynn
Tortuga Pirate
C22 #1651
Houston/ClearLake, TX

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/27/2006 4:43 AM Pacific Time

Lynn, I think that a motor is great, but it should be up the owner as to what size and when he needs to have it on the back. I just don't think it should be a rule for racing.
For what it's worth.
Al Ge
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
05/27/2006 5:11 AM Pacific Time

I agree the rules commitee missed the mark on the rule change. Sinse there are no weight restrictions on the boat itself why have one on the motor? It is ludicrus. As far as keeping the motor on the transom while racing, this makes no sense at all. If anything, it is a safety hazard and likely to get knocked off in close crossings and tight mark roundings. The only thing I can see that the new rule will accomplish is allow people to buy new reliable, 4stroke, low emmision, good fuel economy, motors to race with. Tohatsu/Nissan have a 4stroke 3.5hp outboard, just coming out that is supposed to weigh 38# This might be the motor to have if the new rule goes into effect. Add two pounds and you are legal and as light as possible. In my opinion the new rule should have required an operable motor capable of propelling the boat with no requirement to carry it on the transom and no minimum weight. Think I will email my comment to Mr. Hayslip

Glenn
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

05/28/2006 6:01 PM Pacific Time

I've been on the National Board four years and I argued vehemently to leave it up to the skipper and was out voted. I started the proposal at least four years ago and now it has been whittled down to what we are about to have. The Rules Committee and Board has not passed the proposal as of today. Your logic about some marinas required you to motor out was the main reason I agreed to go along with the HP removal and settle on 40 lbs. out of fairness to everyone who gets stuck with being required to have a motor to get out of their marina. When I was at Ballena Bay Marina, Alameda, CA we were not allowed to sail in and out of slips. I guess if I just lost 40 pounds of weight, I could pretend I didn't have all that weight on the stern of my boat.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

05/28/2006 6:45 PM Pacific Time

Glen I have already made that argument that the EPA requirements in CA is one of the only reasons the Board has agreed to make a change. They believe it is a safety hazard to have a motor stored below so that argument didn't fly and for safety you need the motor operable and in place. My argument was if it was so important as a safety matter why don't other classes and the US Coast Guard require it? Since it is a class rule, the One Design Committee so far will not agree to remove the rule and the Board has not overuled the One Design Committee which is appointed by the Board. As a US Sailing Instructor and Club Race Officer, I feel the motor rule keeps people from racing and enjoying the other side of their boat and would like to see it go away.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Briggs & Stratton