Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel trunk leaking / repair needed - keel 'clunk' strikes again!!

Author Keel trunk leaking / repair needed - keel 'clunk' strikes again!!
Dwayne D. Perser
Spring Hill, FL

Boat Name: Bohemian Rhapsody

Model/Year: Catilina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY 02528 0873

Hailing Port: Spring Hill
05/18/2006 7:01 PM Pacific Time

Short story:

Keel 'clunk' caused keel trunk to crack ever so slightly at top of keel (forward) enough to cause boat to sink halfway before I noticed bow low in water and began frantically bailing out boat - saved boat from sinking.

Removed boat from water, removed keel from boat, found hairline crack in top of keel trunk where top of keel 'clunked' back & forth.

Am refinishing keel pursuant to everyone's advice on this forum & keel refinishing video. Also had machine shop drill out oval-shaped hole where pin when, fashioned me new stainless steel sleeve and install - $120.

Area where hairline crack is tough to access because part of fiberglass seat that is formed over top of keel trunk.

Question:
Any advice on repairing keel trunk where water leaks through 6" - 1 1/2' hairline crack? i.e., do I sand down old fiberglass or just epoxy new fiberglass over hairline crack?
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
05/19/2006 7:47 AM Pacific Time

Hi Dwayne,

I have a picture of a cross section cut of the keel trunk if that will help some. You will, of course, have to fibergalss over the crack, but as you probably already know, the gel coat will have to be ground to bare fibreglass. Send me you email address so I can send the picture.

Peter
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/20/2006 3:10 PM Pacific Time

Hi, Peter - Could you e'mail me the picture at [email protected]? Any other cross-sections? I've been collecting this sort of stuff for years in the event it comes in handy for me or another owner.

Paul
Dwayne D. Perser
Spring Hill, FL

Hull No. CTY 02528 0873

05/23/2006 10:01 AM Pacific Time

Peter - thanks!

e-mail is [email protected]

Dwayne D. Perser
Spring Hill, FL

Hull No. CTY 02528 0873

06/05/2006 7:26 PM Pacific Time

UPDATE - I used a flashlight at night shining up from the ground into the keel trunk at the front of the keel trunk. Then I got inside and looked for light. I found a crack where the fiberglass was thin that allowed the light to shine through the keel trunk on the aft portion running vertical about 6" - 8".

Then I used Marine-Tex (12 oz.) and used a long 1" x 1 1/2" piece of wood to apply the Marine-Tex from beneath the boat to the aft portion of the keel trunk. Any further repairs can be made from inside the boat.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: 1981 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
11/17/2007 6:18 PM Pacific Time

I might have the same problem. My boat "oozes" water in the port bilge area where the battery and electrics are. You can actually see it oozing as if it is coming THROUGH the fiberglass.

I do not see any cracks but I suspect that I could have a keel slot crack somewhere in there. I would be interested in hearing more about how you guys verified and fized your leaks.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel trunk leaking / repair needed - keel 'clunk' strikes again!!