Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Ding in Mast

Author Ding in Mast
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
05/22/2006 9:05 PM Pacific Time

I recently purchased a '75 C22 and the mast has a ding in it about two inches long and 1/8 inch deep about five feet up the mast. I put a four foot level against the mast and it looks like it might be slightly bent (there is definitely a low spot at the ding by about a quarter of an inch with the level laying on the mast, is there such thing as basic mast sag when it is laying horizontally on the trailer? I have stepped the mast since noticing the ding to see how it looks w/ the mast stepped). The previous owner did not seem very concerned; however, I am curious if this is a "must replace now" kind of issue, or can masts handle dings of this size? I know this is probably an issue that I will need to take to someone that can actually look at the mast, but in the meantime, I was hoping to get a little guidance. I would love for it to be okay to sail on it like it is, but I would be very sad to loose a mast and everything else with it. Thanks for any advice!! Brian
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/23/2006 5:39 AM Pacific Time

I don't think that small dings or slight bends as you discribe are any thing to worry about structurally. Bends can be straightened as was discussed a few weeks ago. The mast should lay pretty straight on the ground, but it may sag a bit with just end to end support.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/24/2006 4:48 PM Pacific Time

Brian - Where is the ding? My uneducated guess is it could make a difference if it's across the sail track (making it difficult raising and lowering sail), on the side or in the front. If I wanted to have a ding, it would be in the front of the mast section - in which case it might even be covered up with a sliding spinnaker pole track.

Paul
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
05/24/2006 5:28 PM Pacific Time

Brian, I don't think you have anything to worry about structurally either. The mast will bow quite a lot one way or another if you adjust your stays too much one way or another. The blow might have put a slight bend in the mast, but from what you say I'm sure you can compensate for that by adjusting the tension on your different stays. Good luck. Roger
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
05/27/2006 7:46 PM Pacific Time

Thanks everybody! Your opinions have brought me a higher level of confidence in my mast. I just got the boat rigged for the first time last Wed. (in my driveway; hoping to get on the water tomorrow:-). I was amazed at how much the mast bows. I see now what everyone is talking about when they talk about adjusting the bow of the mast with the shrouds - there is a lot of room for play there. The ding looked much more minor once everything was up. Fortunately, the ding is right on the front edge of the mast, about four-five feet up from the cabin top. From what I see and what you all have shared, I should be able fine. Thanks a bunch for your opinions, it was very helpful. Now it is time to go sailing!

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Ding in Mast