Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / sea wall docking

Author sea wall docking
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
05/28/2006 2:05 PM Pacific Time

i have my 22 tied to a sea wall in app. 4 to5 feet of water. the boat rocks and rolls when waves from wind or motor boats go by . i have fenders out but need something to help control the roll from scratching the boat against the wall. also, should i keep the keel up or down partially. i am afraid ofwhat this is doing to my keel, trunk, winch, and cable. any suggestions would be great otherwise i am going to take it out of the water therefore shortening my summer of sailing as there are no other docking options i can get right now.... please help
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/28/2006 4:43 PM Pacific Time

With the swing keel down, you draw 5 feet, and in 4-5 feet of water, the keel should not be al the way down. I'd suggest raising the keel half way (15 turns of the keel winch). You might also consider the some fiberglass poles that go over the boat and pull it away from the wall. You will get much more use of the boat if it is in the water, so see if you can find a reasonable solution to your dilemma.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/28/2006 4:56 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

What you want are called mooring whips. Here's an example at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categoryg/10001/-1/10001/828/11207/5/man/asc/0/grid

However, you can probably find them for less at other sources.

Eric (who doesn't have to worry about such things since his boat seems to have taken up permanent residence at the boatyard. Sheesh!)
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/29/2006 4:21 PM Pacific Time

What about some kind of sea anchor hanging over the side - or a flat board with ropes through it - it might stop the amount of sway?

Paul
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
05/29/2006 7:19 PM Pacific Time

Flopper stoppers are the thing you need. Visualize a 2' by 2' frame (steel 11/2" angle) with a bridle from each side like a crab pot. The line attaching to the bridle goes through a block on the end of your boom. The boom is held out to the beam of the boat. Within the frame are two 1' by 2' steel doors that are hinged to each side of the frame. As the boat rolls to the side that lowers the frame the doors open to allow the frame to easily drop. as the boat rolls the other direction the doors shut and put resistance to the roll. The spring poles may be easier for you.

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / sea wall docking