Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Two blocks for main sheet?

Author Two blocks for main sheet?
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
06/02/2006 11:37 AM Pacific Time

Well, I am stumped on this one - I recently purchased a '75 C22 and had her out for the first time last night - wow! I am so happy with the boat. However, I can not figure out how to rig the mainsheet. There are two identical mainsheet blocks on the aft end of the boom. I am not sure if this is some modification and I run my mainsheet through both (the tackle that connects to the traveler does not seem to accept this though, unless I am just not seeing how to run the mainsheet through it), or did a past owner add an "extra" block for some reason and there are certain times I would use one over the other (they are only spaced about four inches apart)? I am stumped. Any guidance or ideas??

Thanks, Brian
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/02/2006 2:24 PM Pacific Time

Welcome to the Catalina 22 Forum, Brian. You are right, it is a great boat. The mainsheet normally has a multipart tackle consisting of a set of blocks at the end of the boom and another set of blocks attached to the traveller. I believe there are 4 parallel lines between them, which gives you a mechanical advantage.

Are the 2 blocks on the boom single blocks or multipart? If they are single blocks, they may be the blocks for reefing, the topping lift, or an outhaul.

Is there a single attachment point on the boom, or 2 different attachment points?If they are both multipart blocks with a single attachment point on the boom, disengage the jamcleat and pull the 2 blocks away from each other. The one not attached to the boom needs to be attached to the traveler.

Hope this helps!
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/03/2006 6:02 AM Pacific Time

Brian: On a normal mainsheet setup, the cleat for the mainsheet is on the block attached to the traveler. This block would have the cleat and two sheaves. The Block on the boom end would have a becket and one sheave. The end of the mainsheet would attach to this becket and you would end up with a 3x1 mechanical advantage. Some skippers find this cleat arrangement a bit awkward and they make modifications to the rigging. One option is to fix another block to the bottom of the boom, forward of the block at the end of the boom. Usually this one is more than 4" forward, sometimes as much as 3'. By changing blocks, so the end of the mainsheet is on the traveler, the running end is now coming off the block at the end of the boom and it is a bit easier (for some) to trim and control the mainsheet when it is hanging down from the boom. It is possible that the previous skipper tried to change the sheet lead to make it 'easier' to handle.
A couple pics might really help. Drop them to me thru the Fleet130.org website.

Mike Bracket
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/03/2006 7:11 AM Pacific Time

Brian - I used to have a 1978 boat. Try to take several photos of your "setup", one up close to identify the blocks and one further out to see both the end of the boom and the traveller below it. Email them to (phonetics) romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net. I will see if I can help you figure it out.
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
06/03/2006 9:47 AM Pacific Time

It is great to have such easy access to so many helpful ideas/experience. Thank you. It definitely sounds like it would be helpful if I sent a photo of the setup. The blocks on the boom are both single sheave and then the block that attaches to the traveler has two sheaves and the locking cam. I do not even see where the fixed end of the main sheet would tied off with the boats setup. Right now, there is a stopper knot tied in the end and it is "stopped" by the upper sheave on the block attached to the traveler. From there, the previous owner ran the mainsheet up to the forward block (which is only about four inches forward of the aft block), through the aft block (both of these are single sheave blocks) and down to the block attached to the traveler and through the locking cam. The two blocks on the boom literally touch when this system is rigged and weighted, Seems pretty goofy to me. I have identified what looks like the jiffy reefing block and I am pretty sure neither of them would be the outhaul block because of their placement. Hmm? I will snap some photos next time she is rigged and send them off for you review:-) Thanks a bunch to all of you for your help.
Brian

PS (we had new cabin cushions made and they were delivered last night - They look so good, I might have to move out of the house and into the boat).
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
06/03/2006 11:23 PM Pacific Time

When I got my 82 Catalina, I was unsure of how to rig a lot of the 'rigamarole', etc. Fortuantely, there are a variety of boats that I could find one or two that helped me with my predicaments, just by looking at their setups.
Just a thought, if you have access to seeing other boats, where you sail.
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
12/29/2006 3:06 AM Pacific Time

Brian, how did you make out with your main sheet? You could simply install a Harken big bullet block( pivoting exit block w/ cleat) #140 to the underside of the boom, just above the cabin threshold. This would make for a double ended mainsheet. This way you would be able to control the mainsheet from the aft, or forward positions in the cockpit. A good drawing of the setup is here at CD under, store, rigging, running rigging, and the double ended mainsheet. Good luck, and have fun. Take care, Jay

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Two blocks for main sheet?