Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Electrical

Author Electrical
Paul
Essex Junction, Vermont

Boat Name: Odyssey

Model/Year: Catalina 30, 1983

Hull No. 3086

Hailing Port: Essex
06/08/2006 5:01 PM Pacific Time

I'm overhauling my 1983 Catalina 30 electrical system. I would like to replace the meters (ammeter, fuel guage, temp guage). To use the same panel it would be helpful to obtain similiar/same parts. Does anyone know if such parts are still available?

Thanks,
Paul
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/09/2006 12:00 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul - You have wandered into the Catalina 22 portion of the "Clubhouse." We don't have those fancy instrument panels. You might try http://www.catalina30.com. That is the Catalina 30 Owners Association. I am sure someone there can help.

A side note for Lowell. I wish you would set up clubhouse discussion areas for the rest of the Catalina family.
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/09/2006 2:31 PM Pacific Time

OT and spitefull (he-he)

Most owners of the "real" boats already know everything -and do noteed advice....
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
06/09/2006 4:02 PM Pacific Time

Paul,
I think you will find they are standard 2" gauges, available at all auto parts stores!
Stan
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
06/10/2006 4:45 AM Pacific Time

Gee Paul, then what are you doing here asking questions?? ; )

Working on boats is at least as much fun and provides as much satisfaction as sailing them. That doesn't keep me from launching at every opportunity though.

Greg
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/11/2006 8:21 AM Pacific Time

OT- Again - Different Paul - It was just an observation -

Just like all real sailing involves salt water - (;})

stirr the pot!

Chris Long
Warsaw, Indiana

Boat Name: Glass onion

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Early 70's

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Local lake sialor
10/08/2008 8:47 AM Pacific Time

I have an early seventies Cat.22 Sail # 947. The wiring throughout is cobbled together at best.To the point I can't make heads or tails of it.I believe a complete rewire is in order. Problem! I don't know the first thing about it.
where do I start?
Thanks, Chris L.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
10/08/2008 11:05 AM Pacific Time

Chris,

I rewired my 79 C22. To start, I'd look on line and get a book on basic marine electronics if you are not familiar. Then determine where you need power and start plotting out your wiring needs. I put new wiring in to all of my lights and rewired the switch panel. It is much more reliable now. The original wiring is glassed in to the hull and deck, so I just cut the wires off as close as possible and then forgot about them. You can't run the new wiring where the old was, so you have to determine new routes. You can use organizers like they use for PC's and stereos and put them in at stategic spots in your boat to keep the wires neat and out of the way. You may have to drill a small hole here and there to get a wire to a light. Just do it in an inconspicuous spot and the seal the hole with silicon or 3M 4500 (not 5200!!).

It's not difficult. Just plan it out and contemplate it a while prior to drilling any holes.

Bob
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/08/2008 12:22 PM Pacific Time

Hi Chris,

In addition to what Bob stated, check out the following forum "Classic Plastic" at http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3219 - scroll down and you will see electrical schematics. Closer to the bottom will be the final electrical design. Perhaps this will help you in your electrical layout.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/08/2008 12:35 PM Pacific Time

Also, Don Casey has a book titled "SAILBOAT ELECTRICS SIMPLIFIED." There is one on eBay right now. You can go to Don Casey's web site (just Google his name).
Chris Long
Warsaw, Indiana

Boat Name: Glass onion

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Early 70's

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Local lake sialor
10/10/2008 7:32 PM Pacific Time

Thank you Bob and Peter for your input I'm looking forward to digging into this info. Can't wait for next season!
C.L.
George Stair
Saint Louis

Boat Name: Salty Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No. 1132

Hailing Port: Portage Des Sioux, MO
06/10/2021 7:35 AM Pacific Time

I purchased a depth finder and don't know where to mount the display. It is intended to mount through an instrument panel, which the Catalina 22 doesn't have. I'm grateful for your experience/ideas.
George Stair
Saint Louis

Boat Name: Salty Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No. 1132

Hailing Port: Portage Des Sioux, MO
06/10/2021 7:35 AM Pacific Time

I purchased a depth finder and don't know where to mount the display. It is intended to mount through an instrument panel, which the Catalina 22 doesn't have. I'm grateful for your experience/ideas.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Electrical