Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Wing Keel Repair

Author Wing Keel Repair
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
02/06/2004 8:29 AM Pacific Time

I developed a small through crack on the rear edge of the right side wing. The keel is thinner in this area. It must have bumped over a rock. It also bent it up slightlyat the rear corner.

What would be the best way to repair it so it won't crack more or completely off? What kind of metal is it made from? Can it be welded without special equipment? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
02/08/2004 7:42 PM Pacific Time

I also have a wing keel that I bought so that I wouldn't have the maintenance problems associated with swing keels. I believe the keel is made of lead. I don't know how best to repair it.
I have recenty developed a problem. 8.5 inches below the hull on the back edge of the keel I have developed a rust spot. Also 6.5 inches below the hull on the port side of the keel I have developed a five inch horizontal line of small rust spots. I thought this was rather peculiar for a lead keel. Does anyone have an idea of the cause of this. My keel appears very secure and the keel bolts have never been loose. I will be sending photos and a letter to Catalina asking for an explanation.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/09/2004 8:41 AM Pacific Time

My crack is on the wing section of the keel while yours sounds like it's on the main vertical part. I'm not sure of the metal composition of the keel which is why I'm hesitant to do anything until I find out. Solid lead would seem to be too soft by itself and it wouldn't rust. I think it probably is some alloy or just iron but I'm not sure. Hopefully we'll hear from someone who really knows. If you get the info from Catalina, please share it on this site. If it is iron, I would suggest the Petit system for treating metal. You start by sandblasting the keel or sand very well with a disk sander until shiny bare metal. Then treat the metal immediately with the primer coat followed by a barrier coat over it. You can then finish with bottom paint. I used this treatment on my swing keel model and it stood up in salt water very well. Let me know what you hear. Tha.nks
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
02/09/2004 2:58 PM Pacific Time

Both Eastwood and POR15 have products that seem to be well thought of for preventing rust and they can be topcoated.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/12/2004 3:29 PM Pacific Time

Philip and Sharon,
I just talked with a tech at Catalina Yachts and he confirmed that the keel is made of lead but may have other additives to add strength. Perhaps it is those additives that are rusting.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/15/2004 2:49 PM Pacific Time

For Philip & Sharon.
While exploring options for fixing my keel, I came across this website. It mentions that rust on a lead keel can only come from the keel bolts and goes into great detail. Here are some excerpts:
"Stainless steel keel bolts are used extensively in lead keels. Except for being more compatible, galvanically, they face all the same problems, plus one more. In lead keels, the keel bolts are more often actually keel studs, cast in place when the lead is cast. They typically have an L or J shape inside the lead keel, so they cannot be extracted. And the part of the bolt in the keel cannot be x-rayed because it is shielded with lead. "
"Look also for rust streaks. Rust bleeding from a lead keel can come only from the bolts. If the keel is iron, a pattern to the streaks can suggest that the source is the bolts rather than just the keel."
To get the full report, go to:
"http://www.sailnet.com/collections/gearand maintenance/index.cfm?articleID=caseyd0039&coll_cat=Hull&Coll_name=Hull%20and%20Deck"
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/15/2004 4:11 PM Pacific Time

I don't kknow whether you or the Clubhouse, caused your message to have to be scrolled horizontally to be read, but it is a real pain.

Secondly, the link you posted did not work. I suggest you use Tinyurl.com to generate a short address from the one you sent in your message. Copy the url you are referencing and past into the entry box at Tinyurl.com. Then copy the resulting short url and past it into your message.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/15/2004 7:49 PM Pacific Time

Dick, the URL worked for me (without the quotes at each end). Also, the note looked normal (no horizontal scrolling necessary). The computer gremlins never sleep.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/15/2004 9:11 PM Pacific Time

Dick-The message was normal on mine also when it came back from the server. I tested the URL before I submitted the response and it worked fine. It might have to do with browser settings or something like that. I didn't know you could shortcut a URL. Thanks for the tip.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
02/16/2004 2:25 AM Pacific Time

Dick, the secret of Tiny URL's you shared has got to be one of the best inventions since the internet itself! I use it all the time now.

http://tinyurl.com/

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/16/2004 5:24 AM Pacific Time

I tried the URL again without the quotes and it worked just fine. I sure do wish the Clubhouse format recognized a link when it saw it..
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

02/19/2004 1:50 AM Pacific Time

This is an update on the wing keel rust issue. Recently a line of small rust spots has developed on the port side of my wing keel approximately 6.5 inches below the hull and a slightly larger one on the trailing edge of the keel 8.5 inches below the hull. I have never damaged the keel and the keel bolts have never appeared the least bit loose. So I wrote to Catalina asking: what could be the cause of the problem; should it be considered a safety issue; and what to do about it. Much to my surprise yesterday I received a phone call from Frank Butler. He explained that C22s that do a lot of traveling on trailers should have their keel bolts snugged up periodically even if there is no obvious signs of being loose. Trailering causes jarring which can be damaging in the long run. The rust spots are caused by slight corrosion of the keel bolts but "it is nothing to worry about". There is no chance of failure. Apparently the keel is bedded to the hull 6.5 to 8.5 inches below the actual hull body. So the lead keel is only the lower 2/3 of the entire keel structure. Mr Butler recommended that I sand the spots, cover them with epoxy and then some gel coat if I wanted to finish it off. I was both surprised and happy to get such a fast and personal response to my inquiry. The cosmetic problem remains to be delt with however I am reassured that the keel will not fall off in the Gulf Stream. I must give Frank Butler two thumbs up for taking the time to call me himself to answer my questions.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Hull No. 14907

02/19/2004 5:15 AM Pacific Time

I'm glad that Mr. Butler confirmed what was in the artical I sent you. I keep my keel resting on the bottom bunk board of the trailer with the weight of the boat supported slightly by it and mostly by the top bunks. Thiis keeps the keel from "bouncing". The trailer people recommended this setup. Be careful tightening down the keel bolts because if you could snap one off.
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
02/20/2004 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Yep, the man himself, He’s talked to me a few times about issues that I had with my Catalina 22. To me this is one of the hallmarks of a great company… when the CEO/designer/Founder calls you personally to discuss the problem you are having with one of the low end products they make. Yes, apparently Catalina Yachts care that much about their products. Try talking to the CEO of any other corporation about one of their products and see what happens.

G. Frank Nin
hull #15464 "Hola!"
Grass Valley, CA
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
02/20/2004 3:49 PM Pacific Time

Yes, Frank Butler is very much 'THE MAN'. Back in the sixties when he was struggling to get Wesco Marine going, If you had a problem with your boat be it an 8' Sabot or a 21' Victory when you went in you dealt with Frank not an underling. He always stood behind his product. He must be older than dirt by now yet still goes to work. He is indeed Mr. Catalina Yachts.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

02/21/2004 1:25 AM Pacific Time

Howard: Thanks for the article. I checked out the Sailnet.com site and it turns out to have all kinds of useful information on a variety of maintenance issues. Thanks again, Philip
Rod
Florence, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/13/2004 6:31 PM Pacific Time

Today I looked at a 1988 C22 WK for possible purchase. About 1/3 of the way down the starboard side of the wing keel, there was a small crack about 3 or 4 inches long, beginning at the front of the keel moving toward the back.

What is the danger involved in this damage to the keel?

Should it be repaired? If so, any thoughts on how to approach repariing it.

Is this a huge danger sign about this boat? or "no big deal"?

Thanks

Rod
Florence, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/14/2004 8:12 AM Pacific Time

It is my understanding that the wing keel is encased in fiberglass. Is this understanding correct?
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/14/2004 10:43 AM Pacific Time

Rod,

Read the above post from PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER, dated 2/19. It sounds like you are looking at the joint of the lead to the hull, and is to be expected.

Joe
Rod
Florence, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/14/2004 11:37 AM Pacific Time

Actually the crack I observed is not where the keel and hull meet, rather its lower on the keel. I'm familari with the issue in the previous post, but this one is differnent. I would guess the resoltion may be the same. I was hoping to get opinions from thos more experienced.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Wing Keel Repair