Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Texas Gulf Coast

Author Texas Gulf Coast

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/06/2004 9:02 AM Pacific Time

Do any of you guys along the Gulf Coast know of any cruising guides for the area? I am interested primarily in the ICW from Kemah south. Would like to benefit from others' prior experience for problems, anchorages, marinas, bridges,etc..
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
02/07/2004 6:46 AM Pacific Time

Chuck,

I would like to know too, _B
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
02/07/2004 1:31 PM Pacific Time

Contact Bay Yacht Club in Corpus Christi. One of their members authored a cruising guide for the area from Galvaston to Mexico several years ago when I was a member there. I've been away for over 6 years so I can't remember the name.
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
02/08/2004 9:08 PM Pacific Time

Chuck,

When you get the information from Bay Yacht Club, please post it here in another note. Contact information, author, availability etc. would be handy to have available here in the future for others to refer to.

Thanks,

Lowell
Phil Trotter
Norman, Oklahoma

Boat Name: Barchetta

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 597

Hailing Port: Back Yard
12/14/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

I'm planning a trip to the Texas Coast and would like to sail from the Galveston or Port O'Connor area to Madagorda Island and possibly visit the old airfield on the island. Do I need special permits from the Coast Guard or state of Texas to put my Catalina 22 on the ICW?
Richard Byrd
Canyon Lake Tx

Boat Name: Byrd's Nest

Model/Year: Swiung '82

Hull No. 10810

Hailing Port: Canyon Lake Tx
12/14/2004 8:31 AM Pacific Time

Phil, I have sailed to Matagorda Island, spent the night at Army Hole and toured a bit of the island. If a permit exists or is needed I don't know about it. Good trip though. And if you tie up for the night watch out for the racoons. :^)
Richard Byrd
Phil Trotter
Norman, Oklahoma

Boat Name: Barchetta

Hull No. 597

Hailing Port: Back Yard
12/14/2004 11:45 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the information Richard. I'll be sure and take some racoon repellent.

I'm taking 2 grandsons and a bicycle for each of us. Planning on spending about 5 days sailing and exploring.
Kevin Fish
Clearwater, Fl

Boat Name: Perseverance

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12825

Hailing Port: Gulfport, Fl
02/16/2005 7:52 PM Pacific Time

Richard,

I see that your hailing port is Canyon Lake, we would like to move our boat from to Corpus Christi to Canyon Lake, any suggestion? We are new at this and have no contacts in the sailing world.

Thanks Edgar
Richard Byrd
Canyon Lake Tx

Boat Name: Byrd's Nest

Model/Year: Swiung '82

Hull No. 10810

Hailing Port: Canyon Lake Tx
02/18/2005 2:27 PM Pacific Time

Edgar, I answered this once and never saw it appear. EMAIL me direct at (phoenetic), Kilo, Roger, Indigo, Nancy @ Golf, Victor, Tango, Charlie dot com . If you like. I have some info on Canyon Lake Richard Byrd
Matthew Connolly
Austin, Tx.

Boat Name: Quest

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1978

Hull No. 8247

Hailing Port: Padre Island, Tx.
04/04/2008 10:04 PM Pacific Time

I'm looking for fellow C-22 owners who are docked or regularly sail in the N. Padre / Corpus area. I'm new to the area, and would love to talk to some fellow C-22 salt water sailors.
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
04/07/2008 2:01 AM Pacific Time

i suggest that you google for & monitor the Texas Mariners Cruising Association website. They are the largest, best & friendliest cruising group on the Texas coast and members regularly cruise by sail & power the IC and offshore routes, esp. from Kemah to Port Aransas & Corpus Christi.
I recently sold my C22 after moving to Phoenix and have monitored their site and discussion list for 4-5 yrs. They don't mind us small boat cruisers- they'll welcome you & answer any questions you may have.
Good luck with your cruisin'.
Lynn
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
04/07/2008 2:11 AM Pacific Time

Cruising Guide -
There is only one that I've found & I'll be Dadgummed If I remember its name- My copy is AWOL. I think it's "Cruising the Texas-Louisiana Coast", covers Biloxi to Brownsville, was revised in the last two years & should be available at most Texas WestMarine stores.
TMCA members will know if you ask- the authors are long-time members of their Assn.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Texas Gulf Coast