Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Forestay Length Problems with Mast

Author Forestay Length Problems with Mast
Bobby
Blacksburg, VA

Boat Name: Tipsea

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
06/19/2006 7:48 PM Pacific Time

Recently while sailing I snapped the forestay. The boat is a 1977 Catalina 22. The owner who I purchashed her from said the mast was replaced not long ago. I ordered a new forestay for a 1977 Catalina 22 and the forestay was about 12 inches short. I didn't think it through very well, and now I tried to measure the length needed for a new forestay and got approx 26' 6". If anyone has any idea where i could find out what type of mast I have or any guidance on how to select a proper lenght forestay, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/20/2006 1:39 AM Pacific Time

Bobby - The mast extrusion for your vintage boat should be twenty five feet long. The forestay and turnbuckle should be about twenty seven feet long. So, it looks like your estimate is pretty close. The mast step location on boats of your vintage have been known to vary. The front of the base of the mast should be about 8 ft from the forward hole on the tack fitting.
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
07/21/2006 7:09 PM Pacific Time

Ya know Bobby, I wonder if you are using the correct forestay attachment point on the mast truck. There are two clevis pins on the forward side of the mast truck. The upper one is for a spinnaker block, the lower is for the forestay.

If using an upper toggle on the forestay, as in the case for a furler, that toggle may have some issues getting to the clevis pin in the truck. In such case, a little filing of the inside sides may be necessary, as I experieced when I replaced my flat sided mast with an oval mast as you should have.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Forestay Length Problems with Mast