Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Raising boat off trailer to paint hull?

Author Raising boat off trailer to paint hull?
Doug Allinger
Sandy, UT

Boat Name: Forbidden Love

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10192

Hailing Port: Salt Lake City
06/20/2006 8:32 AM Pacific Time

I'm in the process of restoring 10191 and need to recoat the bottom. Any suggestions on how to raise the boat up enough to paint under the trailer bunks?
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
06/20/2006 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Doug, I just recoated the bottom of my boat, on my trailer, at home. I used a hydraulic hand jack, and about a 4' section of hardwood 4 x 4 which I put on one side of the bottom of the boat at a time, jacked it up just enough to paint under the rollers, and then let it dry good before I repeated the process on the other side of the boat. I had first painted the whole bottom of the boat before I painted under the rollers, but I don't think it makes any difference. It worked fine for me. Roger
Tony Pacaro
Lansdale, PA

Boat Name: Provolone

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No. 14733

Hailing Port: Quakertown, PA
06/21/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time

I have a wing keel on a trailer with bunks. The majority of the weight of the boat is supported by the keel, and the bunks mainly keep the boat upright. The approach I used was to do one side at a time. I tied off the starboard side winches to the starboard bunkboard, and then used two boat stands to support the port side. I then lowered the port side bunk enough to access the area for painting. I then reversed the process for the starboard side. I know this is a conservative approach, but I wasn't willing to use the stands to jack the hull off the bunks. The most challenging issue to using this method was to get the bunks back into postition. This I accomplished with a hydraulic floor jack.
Doug Allinger
Sandy, UT

Boat Name: Forbidden Love

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10192

Hailing Port: Salt Lake City
06/21/2006 8:08 AM Pacific Time

Thanks! Two simple approaches. I'm using Interlux VC-17, which dries extremely quickly, so I'm thinking I'll try the raise the boat with a jack approach.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Raising boat off trailer to paint hull?