Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Potomac River

Author Potomac River
Joe DiMarino
Mersville, MD

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 22/1973

Hull No. 2987

Hailing Port: Mattowoman Creek, MD
06/22/2006 5:59 AM Pacific Time

This might be too specific an area for discussion but I am looking for information from C 22 owners who sail the Potomac. My boat is in a wet slip at Smallwood State Park on Mattawoman Creek--directly across from Leesylvania State Park. Was wondering about anchorages near the park as well general info on sailing the Potomac. Thanks.
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
06/23/2006 11:49 AM Pacific Time

Joe,

Up till four years ago, I sailed out of Goose Bay for over 20 years. Down there the river is quite wide. You can also sail up the Tobbaco River/Creek though the wind dies once you make the curve. I also went up river occasionaly and turned in by the Harry Diamond lab testing area. As long as you pay attention to your chart you can get a considerable distance up the creek. If you have good wind you can always go down past the Harry Nice bridgr though beating your way back can be tough. If you do go down that way, you can drop sail, pull up the swing kill and motor into the restuarants at Popes creek. They have piers for tie ups. Enjoy the sailing and think about checking out the slips at Goose Bay. The new owners have done a nice job.
Spencer Cresswell
Mason Neck, VA

Boat Name: Surprise

Model/Year: 1983 C-22 Swing Keel

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Gunston Cove, VA
09/04/2007 9:58 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1983 C-22 in Gunston Hall. I haven't really been on an overnight trip yet, I just usually sail around from Ft. Belvior to Craney Island. However, I plan to go on a trip to Tim's Rivershore in Dumphries, and go up to Alexandria sometime in the near future. Any other possible destinations?

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Potomac River