Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Has anybody used the Briggs and Stratton on a cat 22

Author Has anybody used the Briggs and Stratton on a cat 22
Larry Frangias
Madison, Alabama 35758`

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: 73

Hull No. 5222

Hailing Port:
06/25/2006 8:33 AM Pacific Time

I'm not interested in sailing rules. All I'm interested in is whether or not anybody on this board has used (or know of somebody that has used) the Briggs and Stratton 5HP outboard on their cat 22. I understand that it may be noisy.

I've ordered a BS 5 hp over the net. They're back ordered thus I have about 2 weeks to cancel if it's not practical. I'm hoping to use it on both my Cat 22 and American sail 14.4. All I'm looking for is an outboard that will get me to/from the dock out to the main lake. In a worst case situation I'll need it to get me back to dock (say 10 miles) if he winds die down?

Thanks - Larry
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/26/2006 5:09 AM Pacific Time

Hi Larry - Here is a message from Dan Scherer ([email protected]) which directly answers your question. Please don't buy it. If it is a short shaft (15 in.) DO NOT buy it.

"i have the B&S outobard. would not recommend it to anybody. It is very loud and i have foun dthe quality lacking. My choke switch is alrady borken and i have to use it manually. It is only 17 months old. The top cowling is loose. It can be hard to start and seems to stop at the worst times. Any want to buy an o/b for sale.

Dan Scherer
1980 Swing keel
hull number 10030
"Wind Player"
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
06/26/2006 12:35 PM Pacific Time

My friend has one and is very well pleased with it. No fuel to mix. Can start it when parked, air cooled, so it is ready when on the water. And he doesn't think that it is to noisey. After all he only uses it to get in and out if the wind is not from a good direction. We are not cruisers in our club, the lake is too small.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/26/2006 8:41 PM Pacific Time

I have a friend who has one and I went sailing with him. It was very noisy, rattled and barely stayed in the water (thank goodness it's air cooled). It was light weight, seemed cheaply built and he bought it on e-bay new cheap. He uses it on his dinghy now instead of the C22 because the shaft was not long enough for the sailboat. After my experience, I wouldn't buy one, but if you're just going to use it to get out of the marina and your motor mount is adjustable to a very low setting, the price may be right and they are light weight.
Larry Frangias
Madison, Alabama 35758`

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: 73

Hull No. 5222

Hailing Port:
06/27/2006 10:37 AM Pacific Time

Dick, Al, and Lynn:

thanks for your feedback. I'm still sitting on the fence. I don;t have much money to spend on a motor. I've gone thru $200 bucks via EBAY and parts for an older Ted Williams (ESKA) Motor. Even if I get that motor running better (it won't rev-up) - I doubt it will have the reliability that the BS 5 would have.

My boat has been seriously negelected. It was in an automobile accident prior to me buying it and I think it sat in somebodies yard for another 10 years. Thus far, I've redone the Swing keel weldments using Woven Roven thru the hull and most of the exterior fiberglass repair. I hope to take some time off off next month and finish
1. Putting a barrier coat on the bottom: west system barrier coat: 4 applications
2. Bottom paint it: One gallon VIVID
3. and topside primer and paint: Easypoxy primer and paint

This is my first boat repair experince. I'm hoping to build up enough knowledge to someday get into a larger sailboat that I otherwise could not afford.

Oh yeah - I forgot to tell you - I really don't even know how to sail. So with that in mind...I figure that once I get the boat in the water - the last thing I want to do is have an accident that could have been easily avoided by having a reliable outboard. Most other motors I've seen seem to run $1200 and up. That why I'm so attracked to this BS which I have deliveried new for $711 with a 2 year warranty.

Thanks again for your feedback. Larry F

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Has anybody used the Briggs and Stratton on a cat 22