Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel hole bushing

Author keel hole bushing
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
06/29/2006 8:33 PM Pacific Time

is it possible to drill out the keel hole to fit the bushing from cd without taking the keel to a machine shop
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/30/2006 12:09 AM Pacific Time

Unless you have the tools to do the job, I recommend you let the experts do it. You are working with extremely hard cast iron. The drill bit is huge as is the drill motor that powers it. How do get the hole round on center with the original hole?

I have had two keels bushed. I took the whole boat to the yard. They dropped the keel, moved it to their shop, used a super heavy duty drill press and then pressed in the proper size bushing. Finally, they hauled the keel back to the boat and reinstalled it. I was glad to pay the freight. Back in the early eighties it cost about $200. ($50/hr)

Like I said earlier, if you have the equipment, time and expertise, have at it. I would not.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel hole bushing