Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsheet rig

Author Mainsheet rig
Brian Pace
Columbus, Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 88

Hull No. 14342

Hailing Port:
07/07/2006 5:16 AM Pacific Time

Hi, looking for pictures and/or descriptions to "move" the mainsheet forward to the middle of the cockpit. I saw some pictures of a mainsheet on a barny post, but I am looking for ideas to basically double end it but with the cleats on the seats, or side of them.
Any thoughts? Any pictures?
Thanks!
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/07/2006 6:43 AM Pacific Time

Brian, try to find some pictures of Capri 22. You should be able to find few of them for sale on the web. I owned one years ago and remember that mainsheet and traveler were in the middle of the cockpit. Otherwise, both boats, C22 and Capri 22 are very close to each other. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/08/2006 12:25 AM Pacific Time

Brian - I have my mainsheet run to a Barney Post. I have several photos of that arrangement I can send you. Why ,on earth, would you want the mainsheet to run to cleats on the seats. That is where you sit. Those cleats are not too comfortable buried in your backside.
Jim Haugen
White Bear Lake

Boat Name: Jabberwocky

Model/Year: 1993

Hull No. 15312

Hailing Port: White Bear Lake
07/10/2006 9:55 AM Pacific Time

Hello all: I love to cruise and started racing my boat in 98 and after a weekend regatta I came up with a lot of questions and I'd appreciate any input you can give on any of these topics. I race on an inland lake (White Bear Lake) near St.Paul MN. I have not raced my boat for a couple of seasons but just got back into it.

1) I race a fixed wing keel 22. I was wondering if it is legal in your own racing clubs to alter the traveler significantly and or move the main sheet to the center cockpit (like a Capri). I don't like racing with the standard arangement because it puts the skipper too far back and I can't get the boom to the center of the boat without sheeting too hard. It's just ackward and I'm sure anyone that has skippered other boats (like a Capri) must have experienced the difference/limitations. I do know to run the traveler to the high side depending on the wind conditions.

2) I need to add a cunningham and if you have pictures or advice on what works well for you I'd like to hear your suggestions.

3) I have all Ullman Dacron sails, Main, 150% Genoa, 110% Jib and I need to add a 135% to my inventory. Has anyone raced using the Ullman 135% Genoa. The Owners Handboat lists it as more of a cruising sail. I like the Ullman Racing Sails which I purchased through Catalina Direct. I'm not apposed to a different loft for the 135% and I have not yet contacted Ullman or CD but I plan to.

4) I'm in a massive learning curve learning to race the fixed wing keel 22. A few weeks ago, someone posted the idea of a forum for tips and discussions about racing this boat. I'd like to hear from you guys or gals and how do I find where this forum exists if it still does.

5) I have learned a lot from just reading everyones input regarding how to improve the performance of the C22. I have much to learn about racing the boat and I know that more tiller time is what I need most. I struggle most with learning how to consistantly point this boat. Some days we get the setup right and it points fairly well. Other days, if our set up is off, we point poorly and or have poor speed. I haven't raced enough to quickly figure out what adjustments to make when things are not going well. I am figuring out that this boat can either be competetive or very crabby and some days the skipper and crew just aren't steering well or working well together. That's just racing.

I apologize if it's bad form to ask for input on different topics under this discussion heading. I'm new to this forum and just got on a roll. Let me know if it's a problem or how I should submit multiple questions.

Thank you.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/11/2006 5:30 AM Pacific Time

Jim, if you're going to race, I see no need for a 135, I don't think that you cannot change headsails fast enough in a short race to make the difference worth doing. A good long inboard track will short headsail power for you by simply moving the sheet point aft to dump the head of the sail. Then when on a reach, move the sheet point forward of the beating point, to hold the clew down and use the head of the sail. One sailor I know installed a reefing hook near the forward end of the track so that on a reach the sheet could but 'barber hauled' to the forward point more easily. Then think about the psycological gain in boat preformance that I read about in I think SAIL magazine. The point was that the skipper and crew would make adjustments, just to be doing something, sometinmes there was no apparent help in boat speed, but the attentiveness and "Yeah, that better" attitude did wonders for their winning more races.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
07/11/2006 11:35 AM Pacific Time

I've been very happy with the double-ended sheeting as suggeted by Catalina. I put a fiddle block at the end of the boom (this kind of block has two sheeves, one above the other) and a Harken 140 block with a cleat in the middle of the boom. That puts this block just about at the aft edge of the cabin and doesn't hit anyone in the head on a tack of jibe. I rethreaded the main sheet so it could be controlled from either end. There was plenty of length so I didn't have to buy a new main sheet.
Austin Cooley
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/12/2006 9:46 PM Pacific Time

Class rules, upon which your handicap rating is based, don't allow you to extend the traveler any wider than original specifications. Class Rules consider the traveller and mainsheet part of open rigging. Moving it forward to be like a Capri would just allow easier access for crew to adjust, but I use and have seen many less complicated systems to move the traveller easier. I prefer the mainsheet double ended using the "head knocker" CD sells, over the Barney Post. They both can accomplish the same thing but the "head knocker" is more out of the way when not using it. My first C22 was a new 1987 wing keel model #14644. It was a great cruiser but but hard to "get into the groove" as a racer. Of course in 1987 I had a lot less tiller time and now that I know more, maybe would do better racing it. My two biggest problems at the time were it stalled out when tacking and I couldn't get it to point, and at higher wind ranges had excessive weather helm, which I believed was due to the keel design.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/13/2006 10:57 AM Pacific Time

Jim,
I don't have any good pictures of my main cunningham, but it's pretty straight forward. I have a 4:1 tackle which is connected at the top via a 1' line to a cunningham hook. The bottom is anchored via a 1' line to the mast step. The tail of the cunningham runs to the base of the mast and then to a turning block and then back to the cabin top. The fiddle blocks I used are the Ronstan rf186 and 187
( http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e3357.asp )
These allow me to cleat it at the mast if it's not run to the cabintop.
If you look closely at this picture:
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=2006-C22-Nationals-SFL%2C-CA&id=1_137
You can just see it below the lower mast stripe. White line with a red tracer.
Hope that helps.
David
www.fleet9.org

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/14/2006 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Hello Jim,

Photos of my main cunningham can be viewed at this article from the Fleet 20 website (www.c22pdx.org):

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200601/200601.htm#Cunningham

Dale
Jim Haugen
White Bear Lake

Boat Name: Jabberwocky

Model/Year: 1993

Hull No. 15312

Hailing Port: White Bear Lake
07/17/2006 9:17 AM Pacific Time

Thank you to everyone that responded to my questions about the traverler, mainsheet setup and cunningham. The pictures from your fleet websites and your comments were very helpfull.

Jim Haugen

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsheet rig