Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / forward hatch

Author forward hatch
kyle hamlett
hattiesburg,MS

Boat Name:

Model/Year: cat 22 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: jackson ms
07/11/2006 7:35 PM Pacific Time

My hatch handles have deteriorated and I need to replace them. Yet, there are no replacements available at Direct or West Marine. Furthermore there is no evidence of brand name anywhere on the hatch. I have a 1987 22. I have two holes that desperately need plugged with appropriate hardware. Seeking wisdom.
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
07/12/2006 5:47 AM Pacific Time

Not sure which "hatch handles" you are talking about. There is the 'slider' handle, is this the one you are talking about ? Any other hatch handle must have been put there by a PO.

As a get by measure ... go look at Home Depot or equiv and see if you can find a stainless steel or plastic handle to sub it out till you can find a more suitable solution.

good luck -- Bill
kyle hamlett
hattiesburg,MS

Boat Name:

Hull No.

07/12/2006 5:45 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the reply. These are the latch handles that lock the hatch on the inside. My particular hatch is different from some cats. It has a lens and is located angled on the deck. The handles have mushroom caps that secure them to the lens. These caps deteriorated and are difficult to find without buying a new complete hatch. Just as you have suggested I have covered the holes with sink hole covers.
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
07/13/2006 8:29 PM Pacific Time

Kyle,

I believe that my 1988 model uses a Bomar hatch with the type of handles through the lens that you describe. Perhaps you can contact Bomar for parts list.

I am interested in what you find out should I need replacements.

Good luck,

Willard
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/14/2006 10:53 PM Pacific Time

I had a 1987 Wing Keel #14644 and I remember the hatch was a Bomar. Check with Minnies Marine Surplus in Southern Calif. as they buy up lots of Catalina parts and may have Bomar hatches or parts.
Julie
Portland, Oregon

Boat Name: Wayward Star

Model/Year: 1971 Catalina 22

Hull No. 559

Hailing Port:
08/04/2006 4:15 PM Pacific Time

I recently purchased a new hatch for my 1971 Catalina 22. It came with no directions. Has anyone installed a new factory hatch? Are there directions somewhere?
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
08/04/2006 10:47 PM Pacific Time

Chip Ford put a forward hatch on Chip Ahoy this spring. Don't know if it was new or salvaged from another C22. He went into some detail on his website that might help you. He's presently on his yearly cruise for two weeks I believe so couldn't field any questions.

Hope this helps
Julie
Portland, Oregon

Boat Name: Wayward Star

Model/Year: 1971 Catalina 22

Hull No. 559

Hailing Port:
08/05/2006 3:04 PM Pacific Time

Thank you. Do you have his website?
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
08/05/2006 3:13 PM Pacific Time

Julie,

I thought everyone with a C22 new his website.......It's a real good one and I'm sure you'll find it of interest. Enjoy!

www.chipford.com
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
08/06/2006 1:35 PM Pacific Time

FWIW Chip put in an 'old style' hatch. The new style hatch is not mounted on the fore deck.

--Bill
kyle hamlett
hattiesburg,MS

Boat Name:

Hull No.

08/09/2006 7:01 PM Pacific Time

FYI, After exasperation I took the advice given and bought the Bomar Nibo "Hatch Dogs" from West Marine. My purchase was not a perfect match, but the mushroom caps were my real need and solved my problem. I used my latch handles from my old hatch and used the hardware from the new latches to make a nice fit. Thanks .
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/10/2006 10:44 PM Pacific Time

Last night I was searching the CD electronic catalog and under C22, Decks came across what looked like all the different style hatches as a retro kit and as parts. Just for FYI

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / forward hatch