Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Sleeving Repair

Author Mast Sleeving Repair
Jeff Anderson
Malabar, FL

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1974

Hull No. 3653

Hailing Port: Malabar, FL
07/15/2006 8:21 PM Pacific Time

My 1974 Catalina 22 was demasted during a hurricane, busting the mast completely in two at the spreaders. I have heard that it is possible to weld and/or sleeve the mast and get a little more use out of the boat. We aren't racers thus don't expect perfection, but want it to be safe and would rather repair the boat than throw it in a landfill. I'd appreciate any suggestions or guidance.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
07/15/2006 11:51 PM Pacific Time

Jeff,
Call Catalina Yachts and get the contact info for the company that built the mast for the C22. They can provide a sleeve and mast section for the repair. Once the mast is repaired, it is as strong or stronger than original and you can race if you like.

You will need to use a good welding shop to put the mast together. Expect one or two hours (there is some drilling involved) at maybe $50/hr.

Good luck!
Fred
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/16/2006 5:19 AM Pacific Time

I have put my 40' mast together on 35' TORCH with screws. The section only needs to be 1/16" to 1/8" thick, and bent to fit smoothly around the mast. The rule of thumb for stiffness is a length of section twice the diameter on each side of the break. So if it is 2 i/2 to 3 times it will be more than adequate. It takes a bit of patience and two or three tries to build a jig to make the bend smooth, but not all that hard to do.
Al Ge
Jeff Anderson
Malabar, FL

Hull No. 3653

07/16/2006 8:22 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the responses, that's the best news I've heard. Other than the mast being broke in two, it's really in prettty good shape, with minimal bend.
Thanks again.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/16/2006 6:16 PM Pacific Time

Jeff, Is your boat insured? If so, your insurance company may be willing to replace your mast with a new or slightly used one. I think that this is worth exploring before trying to repair the damaged mast.

Greg
Jeff Anderson
Malabar, FL

Hull No. 3653

07/16/2006 7:07 PM Pacific Time

Greg,
I tried to insure the boat, but since it was over 25 years old, I couldn't find anyone who would insure it. An unexpected, small problem with fiberglass boats that are supposed to last forever.
The sad thing is that my boat was actually run unto by another boat during the hurricane, which left significant damage (and paint) on the bow. My boat was held to the mooring by lines that I added from the bow to the winches, but the boat rotated and sank. But we are now rebuilding. If I could find the boat that hit me I would have a chance, but there were a lot of boats sunk and beached so there's not much point in trying
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/17/2006 6:00 AM Pacific Time

Hi Jeff - Drop me a line at (phonetics) Romeo Tango Kilo Juliett Romeo at bellsouth.net. I live in Melbourne and know someone in Merritt Island that had his mast "sleeved" after an encounter with a lamp post. Maybe I can get you two together and get your mast fixed.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Sleeving Repair