Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Companionway teak trim

Author Companionway teak trim
David Ennis
Walkersville, Maryland

Boat Name: Breezin

Model/Year: C-25/ 1981

Hull No. 2511

Hailing Port: Mayo, Md
07/17/2006 6:10 PM Pacific Time

I need to replace the two pieces of trim on the companionway. I have the new pieces, but can't figure out how to remove the old ones. Did Catalina glue them on or screw them in from the inside? The interior trim is screwed in, but the screws aren't long enough to go through the fiberglass into the exterior pieces. When I take the screws out, the interior pice is still securely fastened to the fiberglass. I'm afraid to force it off for fear of breaking either the teak or the fiberglass. Any suggestions?
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
07/18/2006 5:13 AM Pacific Time

If your C-25 is built like a C-22, then the inside trim must come off first. When the inside trim is removed there are screws in the holes in the fiberglass coach roof that hold the outside trim in place. Look with a flashlight and inspect it carefully. The teak is also sealed with some sort of caulk material. But before you start to pry ... make sure ther are no screws holding things together.

--Bill
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
07/19/2006 12:04 AM Pacific Time

On my 1976, the inside is both screwed in and glued in. I unscrewed the inside first and then pried off the trim. You will then you will be able to see the screws that hold the outside on. The outside is glued as well. The boards do just pop off with a little effert. The wood is stronger than the glue.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Companionway teak trim