Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Jib Sheets

Author Jib Sheets
Brian Pace
Columbus, Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 88

Hull No. 14342

Hailing Port:
07/18/2006 5:06 PM Pacific Time

I have noticed from pictures that some boats don't have winches. Does this mean that those folks are doing 1:1, 2:1, other? I would like to get away from winches but don't really know how.

On a new topic, I also noticed that most racing boats don't have life lines/stations. I have two little kids so I need to have them when not racing. Is there a good way to race with them? Has anyone found a usable method to removing the stanchions when racing?
Thanks!
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
07/19/2006 3:27 AM Pacific Time

Brian, some people do race their boats in light air areas without winches, but I think if you look closely you may see that those race boats you see without winches actually do have them, they are just mounted on the cabin top. With the winches on the cabin top, when the wind is up you cross sheet and trim from the high side. An extra cam cleat near the turning block allows you to cleat the sheet from the low side and skip the winch if when it is light if desired. This is how mine and many other racers set up their boats.

As far as life lines, you will get many opinions. Personally I think they give a false sense of security. The life lines on the c22 are unsubstantial and would likely not hold up to falling into them. Furthermore, they are too low and more likely to trip you than keep you on the boat. They also are in the way on the narrow side deck of a c22 when trying to go forward. I recommend pfds and one hand for ones self and one hand for the ship. I know you will get many opinions on this but I bet if you once take them off to race they will never go back on.
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
07/20/2006 6:29 PM Pacific Time

My C22 has the winches on the top cabin, I do not race my boat as it is more for family fun. But in the future, as my girls get older, I will race her for sure. This little boat of mine is awesome, it is totally set up for racing, and me being the total novice sailor that I am, the more I read about comments and observations made by racing sailors, the more I appreciate what I have on the C22! I sail mostly in light air, and I have the cams that you are talking about and I use them all the time. I find them to be fast and easy and I have not been in air that really needs the winches yet. I love to hear this stuff, cause it just confirms what I stare wondering what this could be on my boat! LOL!
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/20/2006 11:20 PM Pacific Time

Brian - You don't say how young your kids are - If they're really young you shouldn't let them wander out of the cockpit, but if they're tweenies my guess is the lifelines are good and adequate for their weight. I'd even consider putting in some of that netting at the foredeck if they're prone to wander. Definitely pfds are the go for kids.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/20/2006 11:23 PM Pacific Time

Oh yeah. When I replaced my lifelines, the chandler said, just pull out the stanchions and bring the lot in. It occurred to me then that most boats here have removable stanchions and lifelines - sockets in the deck fitting - and the hardware is stronger than the C22 factory stuff. There's a 20 footer here that has two runs of lifelines as a factory standard.

Paul
Brian Pace
Columbus, Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 88

Hull No. 14342

Hailing Port:
07/21/2006 2:44 AM Pacific Time

Hey, thanks for the comments! To respond to a couple of comments. My kids are 6 and 8, so big enough to go forward but too small to not have anything. I may look into replacing them with a new base and a removable stanchion, that way I can remove when I go racing with nothing more than the base left.

With regards to winches. I have a pop top. I have not measured but it looks like the winches will not fit on the top close to the cockpit. Has anyone put them on the cabin with a pop top? If so what kind are they? They may be smaller than what I have.

Thanks everyone for your feed back.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/21/2006 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Hi Brian - Send me your email address and I will send you some photos of how you can mount winches on the cabin top. Romeo Tango Kilo Juliet Romeo AT bellsouth DOT net.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/22/2006 8:43 AM Pacific Time

My Grandkids 7,9 and 11 came down and we took them out without life lines. It was fun to see them running around in and out of the hatches and just everywhere. It was a light wind day so we had no problems. But their falling off was not a worry, they seem to have a sixth sense of balance. We told them that they would be spanked if they got their clothes wet. We used that adomonition with our kids from birth, for safety around swimming pools, NOT that they could drown.
For what it's worth.
Al Ge
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

07/23/2006 4:08 AM Pacific Time

Oh, I saw Bullproof and Hummingbird next to each other and noted their sheeting blocks. They each have cheek blocks on the combing as I do; however they mounted theirs so the sheet will go through the block and be captive, mine is mounted so that the sheet passes on the out side. To assure wrapping it in the block I have a piece of teak on the outside of the combing and the block hangs over the edge bit, it wraps even in a hurried toss. This gives me the option of going straight to the winch as I do for running with the whisker pole. Bullproof mounted his on a block of teak to angle the lead toward the cabin top for using those winches. Both boats have cam cleats near the blocks for cleating off without going across, as in light wind. So there are three ways that work well to use cross sheeting.
Al Ge

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
07/27/2006 7:36 PM Pacific Time

Tar Baby in GA has no genoa winches. The just have hexa-blocks mounted on the side of the cockpit where the winches are normally located. They mostly sail in very light air. Tar Baby had a real struggle with this sytem in Galveston Bay Nationals. To sheet in he'd have to luff up into the wind.

Al sorta has our system right. We go from the normal lead position to a hexa-block on the side of the cockpit. Right next to the hexa-block we have a cam cleat. The Hexa-block is on a riser and the cam cleat angled down such that when you take the sheet to the high side winch the line will release from the cam cleat. This is a real slick system in heavy air. We sail with only two on the boat so you can't afford to have anyone low cracking in the genoa. During the tack the crew quickly sheets in the slack in the genoa sheet. When it gets tight he drops it into the cam cleat and takes the sheet tail to the high side winch. He fine trims the genoa from the weather rail. Ever notice we have a window in the middle of the main? That is so he can see the spreader from the weather rail.

Good Sailing,

Pete Harper
Hummingbird 1110
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

07/28/2006 4:10 AM Pacific Time

Pete, I never noticed the window. We use clue location as the rough indication, then go down for a peek. But the window is a great idea, thanks for telling us, I'll have one put in when I up grade from a 1992 main.
Al Ge
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
07/28/2006 6:31 AM Pacific Time

I put some blue masking tape on my sheets to see how well coding them works. It worked so well that I'll put some whipping thread on them this month while I do some boat maintenance. A couple of lines on the coaming to line up the sheet coding and it gets sheeted as accurately as it does trying to look at a spreader 14' away.

I also whipped the center of my jib sheets so it gets cow hitched at exactly the same place each time.

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Jib Sheets