Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel won't raise

Author Swing keel won't raise
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
07/22/2006 5:50 AM Pacific Time

Hello,
My C22 is moored in cool, brackish water for about 4 months of the year. Things were fine, until I replaced the keel winch while the boat was still in the water. To do that, I lowered the keel all the way, removed the old winch and put on the new one, and rewound the cable. Now, the keel will not raise. The lock down bolt is backed-off all the way. Last year I put the filler pads on the keel, but they should not be the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
07/24/2006 8:04 AM Pacific Time

just a humble suggestion from a trailor sailor. the fit between the keel and trunk can be tight (2004 nationals one of the boats had to remove the keel and sanded down (faired to thick) so it would go all the way down. it may be there is a barnicle buildup that has caused the keel to jam. we had to put the trailor deep and winch the boat up and keep pressure on the keel winch.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel won't raise