Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / ASA Certified

Author ASA Certified
Martin Henry
Moore, Oklahoma

Boat Name: Madness

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14953

Hailing Port: Lake Thunderbird
02/10/2004 4:53 PM Pacific Time

How many of you are certified and to what level?
Martin Henry
Moore, Oklahoma

Hull No. 14953

02/16/2004 1:09 PM Pacific Time

Come on guys - I'm not the certification police just very interested how many have went through the process. We are thinking of trying to test out on level one and do level two in May.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
02/17/2004 5:19 AM Pacific Time

Doesn't sound like many go for ASA certs, Martin.

Just out of curiosity, is this a requirement for bareboat charters these days? I was out of sailing for two decades raising a family, and I didn't even start reading sailing magazines again until five years ago.

Preponderance of sail schools out there now is mind boggling. I figured that the volume is coming from people who want to charter, but is this true?

Chip Lee

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/17/2004 8:18 AM Pacific Time

I took a course at Blue Water Sailing School (http://www.bwss.com/) in Ft Lauderdale a few years back. It was an ASA course although I never applied for the certification. It was a week long course and we sailed from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo and back. I had a great time and learned alot. I'm not sure what the advantages are of having the certification though.
Michael Sanderson
San Diego, CA

Boat Name: Mary Mary

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1983

Hull No. 53K

Hailing Port: Chula Vista Marina
02/21/2004 8:45 AM Pacific Time

I guess it depends on the records that you keep and the places that yould bareboat charter through and the size of the boat. If you just want to rent a boat similar to the one you own, then many places (at least out here in SoCal will simply verbally check you out to make sure you know what you are talking about. If you want a much bigger boat, then they are more skeptical, and may require you to show a log with all of your experience documented. Finally I have run across some that just require ASA104 to bareboat, period.

I went through the courses up to the 104 and now keep records of the places and companies I charter with. One of the nice things about the ASA versus the USSailing is that you can "challenge" the courses. Which means that you don't actually have to attend the courses, instead you arrange with an instructor to write the exam and complete the on the water testing. You only have to pay the ASA exam fee for processing. I did this for 101 and 103. If you've been sailing for a while and know all the basics you'll have no problem with the on-the-water part ... you should run through the books a couple of times before the written part though, there ar some things on the exams meant to trip you up. You know the type "in the real world we always do X, but for the exam you better say you'd do Y". You can get the books from places like Borders or B&N or your local ASA training facility ... it makes it pretty economical.

Cheers,
Mike
Martin Henry
Moore, Oklahoma

Hull No. 14953

02/22/2004 1:02 PM Pacific Time

I guess for us it's a sense of accomplishment more than anthing else. However, the bareboat charting we looked at you must have at least up to ASA 104. We are scheduled March 20th to test out on level one, $300 for both of us. Then take level two the last week in May $900 for both of us.

Thanks for your insight ~
Gregory Lovekamp
Springfield, IL

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14422

Hailing Port:
02/22/2004 8:33 PM Pacific Time

In response to the "challenge" factor, it is possible to challenge USSailing courses, as well. In terms of certifications, I have ASA 101 and USSailing's Basic Keelboat (challenged), Basic Cruising, and Bareboat Cruising. I don't know that it has changed my life much; I took them hoping it may make chartering a larger-than-my-own boat easier. I have yet to do that.

Gregory Lovekamp
Catalina 22 #14422 - "Quiet Time"
Springfield, Illinois, USA
Dan Plank
Cullman, AL

Boat Name: Half Fast

Model/Year: C-22 / 1989

Hull No. 14855

Hailing Port: Guntersville, AL
03/30/2004 4:42 PM Pacific Time

I've taken up through ASA Bareboat. I chartered a 32 foot boat in the Keys last fall. I couldn't have done it without the training.
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
03/31/2004 8:21 AM Pacific Time

I've chartered 7 times in the Caribbean, several times in the San Juans and once in Coeur d'Alene, ID. The boats have ranged from 32' to 49'. Never once have I been asked about certification. I did take the Coast Guard Safety Class. I think they just looked at that and the fact that I owned a boat and called it a day.

Gerry Sheehan

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / ASA Certified