Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Dry sailing with a hoist

Author Dry sailing with a hoist
Mike Cohen
Milford, CT

Boat Name: Widermeer

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. hln ctyh 0681 m82c

Hailing Port: Milford, CT
08/04/2006 8:48 AM Pacific Time

I want to dry sail off my trailer. Can I use lifting straps without a spreader bar?

I was hoping if they straps met at a point about 10 feet off the deck they would not put to much of a squeez on the hull.

I saw an article on how to install reenforce the deck fittings and haul from them, but that looks like a winter project.

Thanks,
MikeC
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/05/2006 3:58 PM Pacific Time

Mike - I assume you're referring to the article on raising Bulletproof. I have it if you want it - [email protected] Can't see any other way other than maybe straps under the boat.

Paul
Mike Cohen
Milford, CT

08/06/2006 8:45 PM Pacific Time

I am leaning towards straps under the boat. It looks as if you could put them in line with the front and the back of the swing keel in the up position.

Do you know where the Center of gravity of the boat is with the engine on and the keel up? fFrom a picture on the 1977 manual it looks like it is about a foot in front of aft end of the cabin.

Thanks,

MikeC
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
08/07/2006 2:53 AM Pacific Time

Mike, I don't know what kind of hoist is available to you but Paul is on the right track. Using a hoist to launch boats is very common. j24s etc. do it all the time. Most places have a crane set up for single point lifting which is what Gene's method is designed for. I think you should really look at the method Gene Ferguson employs to launch Bulletproof. Could probably set it up in a day. You would then be able to launch from anyplace that has a crane capable of lifting 2500 pounds or so. No need to reinvent the wheel. JMHO
http://www.fleet47.com/hoist.htm
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
08/07/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time

Mike,

Why would you want to use a hoist to launch your boat? If it is on a trailer the easiest way is to back it into the water and off you go. Depending on your ramps, you might need a tongue extension but that would be far easier than a hoist. The center of gravity is not much of an issue with a boat as small as the Cat 22. If you get the straps on each side of the swing keel it isn't going anywhere.

Good luck.

Greg
Joseph Schuler
Princeton, NJ

Boat Name: Cats' Feet

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. K26

Hailing Port: Raritan Bay, NJ; RYC
08/07/2006 8:26 AM Pacific Time

FYI, we use a hoist at our club to launch 'Cats' Feet' all the time. We do use a spreader bar, though, and are easily able to launch it with the mast up. It isn't hard to find the COB point. A couple of times of raising the crane and having the boat tilt fore or aft was all it took to find the COB by trial and error. Do yourself a favor, though, and when you find the balance point, mark the hull with permanant marker to either side of the straps so you'll be quicker next time.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/07/2006 2:53 PM Pacific Time

Too bad that Frank couldn't use the technique they have for Cal 20s, which are fixed keel boats. There is an eye bolt in the keel, that is accessible thru the hatch, they just put a hook in and raise the boats easily. Cabrillo Beach YC has the largest fleet and has had the hoist for years.
FWIW.
Al Ge
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

08/07/2006 11:16 PM Pacific Time

I looked at using a hoist for two reasons. Port Phillip Bay in Melbourne is a large, shallow bay, with prevailing winds out of the West. My club is on the Eastern shore and we usually have a big chop as a result. Trouble is there aren't any clubs with storage and a ramp on the Western side, without having to drive an hour and a half. All the clubs on that side use cranes or keep boats on moorings.

Boat owners on that side have two trailers - a simple frame on wheels for the yard and the normal road trailer. This keeps the road trailer out of the salt and extends its life.

But, alas, inertia has set in and I haven't made the move - probably because I hate drilling holes in the boat and I still worry about the strength of the cleats, which is probably unfounded.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

08/07/2006 11:23 PM Pacific Time

By the way, it's not the cleats I worry about but the bolts holding the cleats. They seem to be pretty small if they're the standard gauge for the cleats, for all that weight. I have visions of the bolt heads snapping off.

Paul
Mike Cohen
Milford, CT

08/09/2006 5:52 AM Pacific Time

Hi,

Thank you for all your help. I am going to lift the boat with straps, but build two jigs that lay on the deck port and starboard. The jigs will keep the straps separated fore and aft and will spread the forces toward the center line along the rub rail.
Does anyone know the location (fore and aft) of the CG of the C22 with the keel up and the engine on the transom. From the picture at http://www.fleet47.com/images/Hoist-1.jpg it looks to be about 4 feet aft of the mast or about 2 feet forward of the aft end of the Cabin.

Thanks,

MikeC
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
08/09/2006 11:51 AM Pacific Time

OK, I'll go out on a a long one . There are 3 C22 at the club I race at. they lift them with the hoist sinc the club does not have a ramp. They use a bar that looks like a H , long on the cross bar of the H and the || are padded . it is placed inside the cabin, bottom of the compaion way and spains the boat from side to side . There is a large eye welded in the middle of the - of the H . As the hoist is taken up the pads catch the underside of the deck of the hull . even with a motor on the back the boat as it come off the trailer goes bow down a bit . seems to work just fine.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

08/10/2006 4:31 AM Pacific Time

I'd love to see a photo of that. Any links?

Paul
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/10/2006 5:45 AM Pacific Time

Paul, Bulletproof's cleats are reinforced with turnbuckles, tangs and wire rope; similar to the bow eye reinforcement connection to the headstay tack. Infact the forward ones are attached to the bow eye, I think. the aft cleats are to a bolt through the transom. This distributes the load from the cleat area. I have the rig used to weigh the boats back in '96, and I just use 4 5/16" bolts through the forward stays tacks and the aft backstay bolts. My point is that 2500 lbs is not that much to pick up with bolts.
Al Ge
Perry Davids
Bellevue, Washington

Boat Name: Pobocca

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 6370

Hailing Port:
08/10/2006 11:00 AM Pacific Time

Folks, I am surprised at all the discussion. I have my boat put in the water very regularly using slings about 2.5 feet fore and aft of the keel with the keel raised, actually in line with the stanchion at the front of the cabin and the stanchion just past the rear of the cabin. Never had a problem.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/10/2006 10:52 PM Pacific Time

I was told by a professional crane operator that if just using straps they should go around the boat at the point where the interior bulkheads are forward by the head and aft by the doorway. Made since to me but have never lauched a C22 using straps, just larger boats like a C30 and Irwin 37.
Bob Moss
Spokane, WA

Boat Name: Aerie

Model/Year: C22/1986

Hull No. 13806

Hailing Port: Spokane, WA
08/17/2006 4:23 PM Pacific Time

my current boat spent it's entire previous life being hoisted with a strap hoist. one at the foreward bulkhead, the other aft. It seems no worse for the wear.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Dry sailing with a hoist