Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / How fast

Author How fast

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/04/2006 3:58 PM Pacific Time

This is going to seem like a real dumb question, but what kind of speeds do you guys normally see out of your Cat 22? A few weeks ago I was sailing in about 15kts of breeze, and very surprised to maintain 6kts pretty regular, with a few ventures to 7kts in the gusts. The bottom is a little dirty and I need to work on sail trim, just trying to figure out what to aim for.

For the record its a old boat, hull 3226.

Kristopher
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/05/2006 6:23 AM Pacific Time

6-7kts is very fast for a C22. Theoretical hull speed is the knee of the curve where the boat speed does not double for a doubling in wind speed. That is, up to the 'hull speed' the increases in boat speed vs. wind speed is linear, a straight line. At 'hull speed' the curve bends over and above that a new nearly straight line continues on up. But at a lower rate of increase in boat speed vs. wind speed. Yes, you continue to increase boat speed but not doubleing it for a doubling in wind speed. Now that theoretical 'hull speed' is roughly the square root of the waterline length, (20-21 ft) 4.6 x a number that varies from 1 to 1.36, (about the highest I have heard of), so if you assume the very best, you can get a theoretical hull speed of 6.25 knots. Some how without a knot meter on any c22 that I have sailed or owned, I don't think that I have ever had sustained speeds of more than 5 knots. Of course sailing on a lake you don't get runs of more than a mile or two before you have to change direction for one reason or another, not like the ocean where you can sail one tack for hours. I could be wrong but I think that 6-7 knots is very fast and must have been a real thrill while it lasted.
For what it's worth. Al Ge
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
08/05/2006 9:45 AM Pacific Time

My GPS shows me getting 6 to 6.5 knots sometimes but that's on Puget Sound running with the tide at full flood or ebb.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
08/09/2006 4:32 AM Pacific Time

One point that should be made is that there is a diffrence between Knots and MPH.
As Al Gearing states, our C22s have a hull speed of 6.25 knots.

We have just purchased a simple GPS and my max speed with a 6HP motor on flat water with little wind is 6.7 mph. which is about 5.8kts THe GPS has an adjustment for mph and kts. mine is on mph right now.

1 knot = 1.15078030303 mph
1 mph = 0.8689755962687 kts an hour
A conversion table might be of interest.
http://www.disastercenter.com/convert.htm

With my meagre experience in sailing these C22s, in a 15 kt breeze,
6mph might be a pretty regular speed and 7mph might be pushing it a bit in the gusts
Now 7mph is a tad over 6kts. If the wind is pushing you at 7mph, things are starting to get interesting enough to pay attention.
At 7kts or better, your hull may very well be planing down the front sides of 4ft waves.

~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio

Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/12/2006 6:51 PM Pacific Time

Understand this is not normal but Rich Fox and I peaked at 9.4mph on Thursday this past week while sailing downwind from Deaths Door in Green Bay during the Great Lakes Cruise. We were on Se Plaire - his wing keel boat with a 135% genny up and no whisker pole.
Yes it was a GREAT ride. Surfing downwind for 2.5 hours on the same gybe.

Mike Bracket
Gunsmoke 9150
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/13/2006 8:39 AM Pacific Time

Wow! What a ride!
Al Ge
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
08/13/2006 2:46 PM Pacific Time

9.4 MPH Mike? We're not mad we're just jealous. ; )

Greg Guenther
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/15/2006 8:11 PM Pacific Time

that was our max as measured by GPS. we really averaged about 7 MPH and yes it was a great ride.
Ya'all need to look into the Great Lakes Cruises in the future. we do some big water sailing

Mike
Shaun R
Orem, UT

Boat Name: Coco Bandera

Model/Year: C22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lindon Marina
10/21/2007 11:23 PM Pacific Time

I took my new(ly acquired) C22 out on the lake for the first time last Friday and did up to 7.8 mph, with sustained 6.7 mph, in medium winds. Not only that, but even with my swing keel up with the wind just behind the beam, the boat *barley* listed. Maybe 10 degrees just with a couple of gusts.

I love this boat!! It's so stable and easy to sail.
Shaun R
Orem, UT

Boat Name: Coco Bandera

Model/Year: C22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lindon Marina
10/21/2007 11:25 PM Pacific Time

(make that "barely" listed.)
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/14/2020 5:36 PM Pacific Time

Been a while for me to visit here but we've been sailing these past years.

Today, 7.6 kts = 8.74592 mph. more than once on an inland Ohio lake.
The winds were rather variable in direction and intensity but for some time it kicked up pretty steady...So, at the moment we were regularly doing in the 6 kt area but for a few gusts that put us above 7kts.
Beam to broad reach with 160 Genoa and full main.
(both carrying some twist for safety. :-)
I use a handheld Garmin that was starionary relative to the boat in the coaming pocket at the time and the water was relatively flat.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / How fast