Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Installing halyards

Author Installing halyards
Mark Speich
Austin, Texas

Boat Name: None yet!

Model/Year: 84 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Easy Street Marina
08/04/2006 10:26 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a Cat 22. The main halyard is missing and the jib halyard is going to break at any minute. How do I go about installing new halyards?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/05/2006 3:34 PM Pacific Time

Annapolis Performance Sailing (East Coast) and West Marine (West Coast) carry what you need if you don't have a local marine supply store, or order from our sponsor, Catalina Direct. Check your sheave types as it will make a difference in cost if you have to change them out. The two types are wire/rope or all rope. If the entire line is missing, you can take a small fishing weight and attach it to a string and shove it down the sheave hole (may have to remove the sheaves) and run it down the mast from top to bottm as a pennant line for the larger wire or rope (whichever way you go) for installation. The easiest way to get to the top of the mast is to remove it from the boat and lean it against a roof or tree, or even the boat if it's on a trailer. Place a ladder against a tree or roof next to the mast and go to the top to start the job. Your main halyard should run to the right (starboard) and your jib/genoa haylyard should run to the left, port.
Mark Speich
Austin, Texas

Hull No.

08/05/2006 8:13 PM Pacific Time

We worked on the halyards for a couple of hours today, and here's how it went.

I decided to take the mast down rather than go up to the top myself. After about 45 minutes, we were able to get it down. It wasn't all that difficult, just make sure you've got a strong guy to help. Once it was down, I attached a heavy nut to the end of some fishing line. We held up the mast up to about 30 degrees and shook it, but couldn't get the nut to go down. Then, we decided to put the mast back up and see if the nut would drop. On the first try, the fishing line snagged on something on the deck and the nut popped out of the top of the mast. On the second try, things went better and the nut dropped to the bottom of the mast as planned. Then, we pulled the mast back down so we can run the halyards tomorrow.

One thing we noticed is that it seems like the headstay is too short to get reattached. We have already loosened the turnbuckles on the headstay and backstay, but that didn't seem to help. Any idea how to provide an extra 1/4" of slack?
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
08/06/2006 10:23 AM Pacific Time

Once your halyards are back on and you are ready to reraise your mast, attach your main sheet upside down to the jib halyard shackle and the bow pulpit. make sure the Jib halyard is cleated off at the running end. Now you can use the mechanical advantage of the mainsheet to help raise the mast and to get that "last 1/4 inch" you need to attach the fore stay.

The reason you want the main sheet upside down is that it makes it easier to cleat off if you need to stop part way up to rest, drink beer, or untangle shrouds.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/08/2006 10:24 PM Pacific Time

There are extensions available for the forestay. I got one from a marine rigging shop in Alameda, CA called "Svendsons" over seven years ago for my C22 I forgot the technical term of the thing, but I just told the guy in the rigging shop basically what you described and he had it in stock. I think you can also add the extensions to the shrouds. I would check with Catalina Direct's Rigging Guru "Bruce" and maybe he could send you one or tell you where to get one in your area. It would be nice if we had some more i.d. about your boat and what area you're from when you participate to these posts.
Mark Speich
Austin, Texas

Hull No.

08/09/2006 8:27 PM Pacific Time

Just figured out how to update my profile, so my info should show up now.

I bought a quick release to attach to the bottom of the forestay. When we were trying to remove the turnbuckle, the bolt that is attached to the forestay got stuck and wouldn't budge either way. After trying to muscle it for awhile, we ended up bending the bolt. I went to a local sailboat shop to find out what to do. I thought I was going to have to replace the entire forestay, but they said I could just have the bolt assembly cut off and replaced. Looks like we get to drop the mast again!

On a different note, I tried to take it out today and ran it over something in the water (the lake in Austin is very low right now). I'm not sure, but it seems like the keel is rattling now. I've had this boat five days and have already damaged the forestay and possibly the hull. I'm feeling like a real rookie. At this rate, I should have it sunk by next month! :)
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/10/2006 11:03 PM Pacific Time

I don't understand why you need to drop the mast. On the foredeck the fitting that the forestay attaches to (I forgot the technical name) the one with the two holes is removable and replacements are available from CD. The quick release is a good idea but mainly used for people who trailer sail and often drop their masts, or have to halfway lower their mast to get under a bridge. Call CD and ask for the rigging dept. (Bruce) and see if he can give you help on the forestay. He is quite a C22 rigging expert. Also the clunk is normal. There is a small plastic looking washer (probably derlon?) that CD direct sells to shim and stop the clunk. I made my shim out of a plastic coffee can lid. When it wears out I will hear clunking, but I trailer sail so I (my husband Dale) can drop the keel in our driveway do the annual inspection and replace it.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/10/2006 11:11 PM Pacific Time

Ok I just went to the electronic catalog. In the top right top of your CD screen click on Store/Search. Click on C22, Click on Rigging, Click on Standing Rigging, scroll down to the bottom and click on page 2. You will see the stem fitting. It is important that your stem fitting has the reinforcement that is shown on page 1 of Standing Rigging. I had a 85 and 87 C22 and can't remember if this the stem fitting reinforcement was standard or a upgrade. On my 73, I know we added it. Be sure you have it on your boat!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/12/2006 10:55 PM Pacific Time

If you use the mainsheet to help raise your mast, be sure the top of the mast is lifted up (mast ups are nice) before hauling in on it. Some people even use a gin pole in front of the mast to get better sheeting angle. If you stick the mast in the mast step and try to raise it without lifting the top of the mast, you will just be putting tremedouse forward pressure on the mast step instead of downward pressure. Keep doing it this way and the mast step will loosen and you will get water penetration. CD sells a stout mast-up, or you can make your own rather inexpensively.
Greg Nelson

Hull No. 5953

08/14/2006 5:17 AM Pacific Time

Of course, Lynn is correct. I should hsve mentioned that I use the Mast Up (and a helper to stabilize/walk the mast up if someone is handy - over kill is always good where 25 ft. long pieces of aluminum is concerned). when raising the mast with the mainsheet. That said, since I started doing this three years ago, rigging has gone from an ordeal to just another detail to take care of.
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
08/15/2006 4:07 PM Pacific Time

You shouldn't use the main sheet to raise the mast as it is on the aft side and will tend to twist the mast as pressure is applied. Use the jib halyard or, as I do, use the forestay to pull it up, then attach the forward lowers. This stabilizes the mast so you can release the forestay and connect it to the tack fitting. If you need to, you can attach the jib halyard and pull it tight in order to give you the slack in the forestay to enable you to attach it. If you have an adjustible back stay, that shouldn't be nessesary.

Kent
Greg Nelson

Hull No. 5953

08/16/2006 6:13 AM Pacific Time

Kent

Check my earlier post. I attach the main sheet to the jib halyard and the bow pulpit. That allows me to use the mechanical advantage and the cleating ability of the mainsheet to raise the mast while not encombering the forestay. Try it you'll like it.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Installing halyards