Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / wing keel cracks

Author wing keel cracks
Scott Hunt
Spring, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2000

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake conroe
08/16/2006 3:51 AM Pacific Time

Hi folks, I am considering a 2000 Catalina 22 mk II with a wing keeI and I found cracks on the wing keel at the front leading vertical edge and also on the rear vertical edge. They are about 3 inches long. Are these signs of being run aground? Also the wings have quite a few blisters. Any input anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Scott
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/20/2006 11:11 AM Pacific Time

I owned a 87 wing keel Catalina 22. Fixed keel Catalina's are notorious for what they call the "Catalina Smile". Your description did not say how deep the separation was. There is a split on if they are harmful or not. They definitely are repairable! Most often cause is running aground on a hard surface or trailering and hitting a big bump in the road and having the boat bounce on the trailer, or loose keel bolt nuts. The important thing is to check the keel bolts to see if there is damage there. If the nuts have to be tightened more than 1/4 turn I would be concerned. If the bilge stays flooded while at dock that could be serious. If the cracks are more like hairline, they can be filled or left be. You may want to get a survey to ease your mind or ask that the boat be left in the water 24 hrs. or more for a leakage inspection.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / wing keel cracks