Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / c25 keel vs c22 keel

Author c25 keel vs c22 keel
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
08/21/2006 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone know if the keel on a c25 is larger than on a c22? in pictures they look the same. Is the added ballast on a 25 made up in the sole of the boat? I'm looking at a 25 with a very pitted keel, however my 22 has been faired and in great condition.... was thinking I could swap them out to sail the 25 while fairing its original keel? thanks... chad
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
08/21/2006 11:24 PM Pacific Time

Yes the c-25 swing keel is quite a bit bigger than a c-22. The ballest is in the keel making for the size difference.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/22/2006 5:02 AM Pacific Time

The C22 keel weighs 550 lbs. The C25 keel weighs 900 lbs. I am predjuiced, but I think the C22 is a better boat for the money. The 22 is certainly faster. The C25 is larger yes, but certainly more trouble to trailer, more costly to rent a slip and sails are more expensive. Did you know that the keel pin on a 25 is exactly the same diameter as the one on the 22, even though the keel weighs almost twice as much.

Unless you have a real pressing reason to move up, do yourself a favor and stay with the 22. Let someone else deal with the giant slab of pitted pig iron.

JMHO
Willie Blevins
Longwood Florida

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 216

Hailing Port:
08/22/2006 5:02 AM Pacific Time

Catalina 25 keel is about 1500 lbs. The 22 keel is somewhere between 300 (Dennis and Mickey) and 650 (Nachomama)
Willie Blevins
Longwood Florida

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 216

Hailing Port:
08/23/2006 9:54 AM Pacific Time

Hey Dick

Why do you say the C25 keel weighs 900? The parts catalogue says 1500, am I missing something?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/24/2006 2:00 AM Pacific Time

Hi Willie - Is is good to see that you are still out there.

"Why do you say the C25 keel weighs 900? The parts catalogue says 1500, am I missing something?"

I am going on old and probably misinformed data. Many years ago, I was visiting a now defucnt marina, that had an old style C25 in for a major repair. The boat had been moored in the river. During a violent storm, the keel cable broke and the leaping boat tried to pound the dropped keel into the bottom of the river. The result was the keel trunk was destroyed and the boat sank.

Joe showed me the keel pin from the keel which was recovered along with the boat. It was slightly bent but was the same size as the pin for a C22. I seemed to recall, that the keel weighed in at a healthy 900 lbs. Maybe it was one of those "light" ones OR my memory is fading with increasing age.

Having a catalog is sort of cheating. You have the facts, while I only have a faded memory.To what catalog to you refer?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / c25 keel vs c22 keel