Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Wet deck core port side

Author Wet deck core port side
Andrew Marshall
Burlington, ON

Boat Name: Khuluma

Model/Year: 81 C25 Tall Rig

Hull No.

Hailing Port: MacDonald's Marine
08/26/2006 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Last year I found my deck core was wet along the rail from about the front hatch to about 2ft behind aft of the mast. For better or worse, I cut open the deck, dug out the wet plywood and laminated a new layer of fiberglass. Because of the mess I made I will be repainting the whole boat and rebedding all hardware. What's unsettling is I haven't really diagnosed where the water was coming from. My guess is either leaky stanchion, (would moisture travel up the deck?) or leaky window, or could the leak be from water accumulating on top of the rub rail? (The area of stanchion appeared to have the wettest wood). What is the probable cause?
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
08/27/2006 9:07 AM Pacific Time

Andrew,
I had a very similar thing on my boat. Mine was rotted on the port side also, from the bow back to the forward shroud. On my boat the water was getting in on the padeye where the safety line attached. The way the catalina tends to sit water either gathers and sits or at the least flows along the deck rail where the rails and stanchions are. I was quite surprised to see when I removed the bow pulpit there was almost no noticable calk on my boat. Where the wood is rotted the most is an indication of where the water is coming in. You can also look at the thru bolts down below. The ones that were leaking probably show some rust. In reality I should have pulled all deck hardware and windows and rebeded them, but that just sounded like to much work. My boat is only trailered, so unless I am using it I now have it covered and dry at all times. I really do not want to do that project again, bet you don't either?

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Wet deck core port side