Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Industrial Epoxy Coating for barrier coat

Author Industrial Epoxy Coating for barrier coat
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
08/28/2006 7:03 PM Pacific Time

I recently aquired 6 gallons of a two part industrial epoxy coating for free. The product is PC Pen-Rust Peptek Epoxy-Polyamide Enamel distributed by Passanno Paints. It is intended for use for structural steel, tanks, concrete, showers and locker room floors. I have not been able to find any additional information on this product. It dries on bare fiberglass to a very hard and flexible glossy white in about 24-36 hours.
I was considering possibly using this paint as a barrier coating once I complete the fiberglass repairs to the bottom. I was wondering if anyone knew what qualities made certain epoxy products suitable for this use and if I should consider using this one for that purpose. Is epoxy just epoxy or is there some magic formula that makes only certain products suitable for use on boats?
Lee Scott
Birmingham, AL

Boat Name: Shoot the Breeze

Model/Year: C22 - 1981

Hull No. 10212

Hailing Port: Lay Lake
08/29/2006 7:27 AM Pacific Time

Hey, send me a couple of gallons, and I'll be happy to try it out!

I'm no chemical expert by any means, but I think the thing that makes epoxy suitable as a barrier coat is that it doesn't have any pores in the surface left by an evaporating solvent the way traditional coatings do. That is assuming you don't thin it with acetone or alcohol or other epoxy thinners.

It sounds like the product was designed for wet applications, so I vote for using it. You sure can't beat the price you paid!
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
08/29/2006 9:00 AM Pacific Time

Why not ask them if it will work for you? Their website is www.passonnopaints.com. The company has been in business for a very long time.
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
08/29/2006 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I've worked with twenty or so different epoxies. Every one was different. Most had excellent documentation available from their manufacturers. All were deadly toxic. Every manufacturer went to great lengths to explain safe handling technique. It's critical to follow the manufacturer's advice. Exactly.

That said, find out what the batch you have needs by way of application. Consider optimum temperature, spray and/or brush, roller, etc. Note requirements for humidity, direct sun exposure, etc.

Like any paint job, surface prep is probably going to be tedious; but if not done just right, your epoxy may wind up feeding fishies. So find out how your surface needs to be preped. And, you may need to apply a particular primer in order for your epoxy to do the job it's intended for.

As a barrier coat, you're trying to reduce water infiltration to your hull, and provide a long-wearing substrate for bottom paint and/or topside finishes. Normally, this would not be a gloss finish. But, some gloss finishes, if recoated with certain topcoats within a particular time-window, can be used for the purpose you intend without further (like sanding again!) prep. The manufacturer will know.

I've used many epoxies that were intended for altogether different purposes. But in every case I called the manufacture's main number, explained my question and was instantly put through to a product expert. For whatever reason, epoxy people are some of the most cooperative critters I've encountered when it comes to getting information and how-to.

Call 'em up!
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
08/29/2006 5:36 PM Pacific Time

Arron, What West Systems recommends for their epoxy is Alum. powder as an additive when used as a barrier coat, this creates a much denser coating than just epoxy alone, any West dealer will stock this powder. I too would subjest following the manufacture's recommendations.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
08/29/2006 7:23 PM Pacific Time

Thanks all for the advise. I certainly will be contacting the manufacture for info and possibly testing the stuff on my rudder which has served me well as a proving ground for many first time products and procedures.
I have a ways to go before I get to the point where I will need to worry about it though because I have numerous other repairs to make before I'm at that point. The boat itself was free and in need of lots of repair so you can understand the allure of using this stuff which was also aquired for free. (Actually, someone cleaning out an industrial building left 5 or six unopened cases w/ 6 gallons each of the stuff at my local landfill. Sorry I only took 6 gallons). Any one know of a free trailer laying around to round out my good fortune?

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Industrial Epoxy Coating for barrier coat