Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / help... installing new breaker panel

Author help... installing new breaker panel
Steve Sweeney
Everett, WA

Boat Name: Destiny

Model/Year: Catalina 22,1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Everett
08/29/2006 10:47 PM Pacific Time

Hi all,

I just bought a 1984 Catalina 22 and I'm in the process of finishing up the re-wiring the previous owner didn't complete.

The boat came with a brand new breaker panel for the electrics but no instructions on installing it and I can't seem to get it to work. It has a single master circuit breaker and below that are 6 rocker switches.

On the back of the panel there are 2 sets of claw foot connectors. One set has a wire going through each one and the master circuit breaker. There are no markings as to which are positive and which are negative on either the rocker switch connectors or the breaker.

It doesn’t seem to be passing any current through the breaker to the rocker switches. I get voltage when I test at the terminals on the breaker but nothing after that. I’m not too experienced with electrical wiring but I think I have it connected correctly (though since it’s not working, perhaps not). Basically the negative/ground leads from each device (light/radio) spliced together with the negative battery terminal go to the negative side of the breaker; then the positive lead from the battery to the positive terminal of the breaker and the positive lead from each device to each rocker switch. Does that sound right?

I've tried the switches and circuit breaker in every conceivable configuration but can't detect any voltage at the rocker switches. I must not be connecting the wires correctly.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Sweeney
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/30/2006 5:46 AM Pacific Time

It sounds like you're trying to connect the positive and negative to the breaker. If that is the case, then I have assume the breaker is working and it tripped. The positive should be connected to one terminal of the breaker, the other terminal of the breaker should be connected to the bus that conncects one terminal of all the switches. The negative terminal of the battery then connects to the bus where all the returns from each device are connected.
Hope this helps,
Al Ge
Chris Achtschin
Middlesex, NY

Boat Name: Whatever

Model/Year: catalina 22 '81

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Canandaigua Lake, NY
08/30/2006 10:03 AM Pacific Time

Steve,
I just completed replacing the switch panel in my 81 C22.
My old switch panel had a red panel light that required a negative connection. If yours is the same be careful not to confuse the panel light negative connection.

Other than a panel light, the switch panel should have all "positive" connections...no negatives. The negatives are brought together either all to the battery negative connection or to a common binding post (Supplied by CDC with my switch panel replacment kit.).

Good luck,
Chris
Steve Sweeney
Everett, WA

Hull No.

08/30/2006 10:25 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have uploaded a picture of the back side of the panel:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE1D837D3141E86E&rcpt=steve@allbrightvideo.com

So, if I understand this correctly, all device negative leads should be joined together with the battery negative and connected to the breaker post on the right (which has the switch terminals all connected via the silver wire) and the positive from the battery should connect to the post on the left of the breaker and the positive leads from the devices will connect to the open terminals on the switches (on the left)? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Steve
Chris Achtschin
Middlesex, NY

Boat Name: Whatever

Model/Year: catalina 22 '81

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Canandaigua Lake, NY
08/30/2006 12:40 PM Pacific Time

Steve,
If you would like, email me your phone number to [email protected], I'll try to help you out.
It is 3:40 ET, I'll be available for a few hours this afternoon and will check my email.
I'm not quite sure you understand about the ground connection.
Chris
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
08/30/2006 1:20 PM Pacific Time

Steve,
You are correct. Only the positive from the battery should be connected to the main breaker. Your lights, instruments, bilge pump, etc. connect to the mail push pins. You should have a mini bus bar connected to the battery ground for all of the ground wires to connect. Good luck !
Jim _/)
Steve Sweeney
Everett, WA

Hull No.

08/31/2006 12:17 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the help guys... especially Chris who was kind enough to talk to me on the phone and get me straight on exactly what I need to do.

Cheers,
Steve
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/31/2006 7:15 AM Pacific Time

Hello Steve -

Ine last thing I would advise - is to add a Negative bus to your arrangment - this is just a copper (or tin plated copper) strip with 6 or so terminal screws. This will allow each device with a connection to a circuit breaker, to also have a location for it's negative terminal.

Often people connect all 6 + wires with one screw and nut - so to remove or add anything you have to disconnect all of the negative side of the circuit.

Regards,

Paul
Alan
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: My Turn

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. C14805

Hailing Port: Charlotte
09/12/2010 7:08 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know where I can order an electrical switch panel for my 1984 C22? I don't see one in the Catalina Direct catalog.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / help... installing new breaker panel