Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Engine length?

Author Engine length?
Noah
Aliso Viejo

Boat Name: Noah's Ark

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 6588

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
08/30/2006 5:24 PM Pacific Time

Hello,

I'm considering buying a Tohatsu 6 hp. They now have a 25" with the alternator/generator installed at the factory.

Do you guys think the 25" is worth the extra length/weight? I have a 15" and I know I need to go longer. Is 20" okay or go with the 25"? The price isn't a big deal.

Thank you in advance.

Noah
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
08/30/2006 11:39 PM Pacific Time

I believe longer is better especially if you take into consideration where you sail (which I assume is the ocean).
Philip
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
08/31/2006 1:19 PM Pacific Time

I'm with Philip and Sharon. I bought an extra long shaft Nisson, same motor, and love it. I discovered that I can still run with the mount(Garhaur) in the up position. No need to tilt for shallow water!! This would only be for calm conditions.

Kent
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/01/2006 9:06 PM Pacific Time

I had the same motor on my 87 wing keel #14644 and it was great. If you do any sailing where there a swells the extra length is an asset. The brand and placement of your motor mount will also dictate which length is best for you.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Engine length?