Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Whisker pole track vs fixed eye

Author Whisker pole track vs fixed eye
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
08/31/2006 8:58 AM Pacific Time

I need some advise. I'd like to add a whisker pole to my C22. I have a 100 jib and a 150 genoa so I'll need an appropriately sized pole. Can I get some opinions on installing a track with a car vs a fixed eye? Would there be much of a performance improvement being able to adjust the height of the eye? If I went with a fixed eye, how high above the mast step should I mount it?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/31/2006 9:41 AM Pacific Time

Paul,
I have a few ideas on whisker poles. I have mounted 2 fixed eyes on my mast. One is about even with the top of the mainsail slot in the mast and the other is about 4" below the boom attachement. I've found these positions work pretty well for both whisker and spinnaker poles. Another consideration is that mast track is going to stiffen the lower part of the mast. Could be good or bad depending on how you feel about that.

David
Dumbo
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/
http://www.fleet9.org
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

08/31/2006 1:04 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, David. Do you use the same eye for the whisker pole when you're running with your jib and genoa?

I never thought of the effect a track would have on the mast; with all the screws that'd go in a track, it would stiffen up that part of the mast considerably (kind of like plywood layers) and change all the bending characteristics of the mast (stress concentrations near the top of the track from the bending moment??). I just don't have enough time at the helm of a C22 to know if that's good or bad from a mechanical or performance point of view.

Hopefully the tentatively planned sail trip out of Coyote Point in Sept will work out and I can take a look at your setup! I didn't get a chance to take a good look at Dumbo when she was all rigged up last time.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/31/2006 2:24 PM Pacific Time

Paul,
There's a pretty good shot here:
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Waters-sails/dscf0839?full=1

I've never used the whisker pole with the jib, but I'd guess that the lower one is a likely choice. You may want to post here: http://p4.forumforfree.com/catalina22.html as there are a few really good sailors on that board, too.

You're certainly welcome to have a look on the 9th. I'm going to be splitting my time with helping Jose and hopefully hoisting my sails, too. I tapered my battens and would like to see how they look!

David
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

08/31/2006 2:55 PM Pacific Time

Holy cow! Nice sail! Bet that baby is fast! I see the eye in the pictre as well. Thanks.

I will post on the other site as well. Thanks.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/01/2006 9:20 PM Pacific Time

A four foot track on the front of the mast gives you lots of options for placement of different head sails. All sails have a different cut, 110, 130, 150, spinnaker would have a different placement for the pole to the mast. Sure the eye is the cheapest way to go, but if you use a variety of sail brands instead of the same sailmakers sails, and want the best rigging option, go with the track. When cruising, another benefit of the track is you can store your whisker pole there with the addition of a padeye up higher on the front of the mast.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Whisker pole track vs fixed eye