Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / roller furling vs. reefing?

Author roller furling vs. reefing?
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
09/11/2006 8:30 AM Pacific Time

I'm interested in adding a furler to my boat, mainly for the safety of not have to go forward when the winds kick up. The CDI states that it is a reefing foil..... what does this mean? I'm thinking that it can both furl the sail around the forestay and reef it down to change it out? Can you still use other fore sails if the jib on the furl is completely furled..... or do you just use a large Genoa and furl it in to the desired %? Any recommendations on the best choice for a furler... our sailing is primarily cruising... not into racing at this point.
Chris Achtschin
Middlesex, NY

Boat Name: Whatever

Model/Year: catalina 22 '81

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Canandaigua Lake, NY
09/11/2006 2:06 PM Pacific Time

Chad,
I have a ProFurl Furler on my 1981 C22 and it works great!
I'm sure CDI is good too.
Reefing, as I understand it, would be reducing the sail size by rolling up the sail.....say 1/2 way.
I do this all the time when I am sailing alone.
With my furler you really cant conveniently take it down and replace it with a conventional hanked on jib, I think it would be too much time involved.
I hope this helps,

Good luck, Chris
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/12/2006 5:01 AM Pacific Time

Speaking of roller furlers, how difficult is mast raising with a furler? We keep our boat on the trailer at the marina and launch her when we use her but there are times that we take everything down and go visit another lake. Does having a furler make that process much more painful? I would really like one but am having second thoughts about the challenge of putting up and taking down the mast for travel.

Thanks,

Greg
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
09/12/2006 7:10 AM Pacific Time

Greg,

I dont trailer sail but I have seen many people at ramps here and there and it seems to me that the furler actually saves time.

I have watched some people do it. They furl the salil and lower the mast. When raising they raise attach the headstay as usual and they are ready to go. Seems fast to me.

I just recently got a furler after years of trying to be a purest. I havent installed mine yet because of time time time. All being a purest has done for me is not allow me to sail as often as I'd like. Rigging the jib, jib sheets, a down haul. Then on the way back pack everything up. I hate folding sails.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

09/13/2006 11:17 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Rick,

I have heard some stories about how hard it is to put in the pin for the forestay but I'll bet that it depends on which furler you get. If I can talk the boss out of some boat bucks, I will look into one.

I too get annoyed at the headsail. I don't have a downhaul so I end up on the foredeck.

Thanks again,

Greg
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
09/13/2006 12:24 PM Pacific Time

Greg

Pertaining the head stay pin:
I would say a few thing I bet people who have that opinion are not doing.
1. By a quick release pin they are expensive in comparison the a regular pin but well worth it when your not fumbling at the bow.
2. They are probably not using the jib halyard as a temporary stay and using it to bend the mast forward while attaching the headstay pin. Using this method I have never had a problem getting a pin in and couldnt see a furler causing any trouble.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

09/14/2006 7:31 PM Pacific Time

thanks again Rick,

I normally am able to put the pin in without a lot of trouble. Actually, Nancy does the pin while I put pressure on the forestay to bring it in reach. I have read a lot about using the Jib Halyard to put tension on the mast to seat the forestay pin. I guess with roller furling, you can't just pull on the stay. Next time I put the mast up, I will give that a shot. We brought the boat home Labor Day weekend. I am a farmer and for me the fun is over since harvest is right around the corner.

Think about me once in awhile out shelling corn while you all enjoy the great fall weather.

Greg
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
09/15/2006 9:44 AM Pacific Time

I have a CDI roller/reefing sail installed in my C-22 and installing the pin for the headsay is no sweat, just release the tension on the backstay and the pin goes right in, then re-adjust the backstay tension, if you have an adjustable one it is super easy and if you don’t it is still very easy to do, count turns… put it back the way you found it or buy a tension gauge (that is what I do) ~ Frank

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / roller furling vs. reefing?